What's best for my child

Post your questions about vitiligo here.

Moderator: talkhealth

2 posts
Guest Posts

by Guest Posts on Thu Jun 21, 2018 5:14 pm

What's best for my child

My child has vitiligo, do you think it's worth going down the road of skin camouflage treatments or is it best to avoid them? Tx Anna
talkhealth team on behalf of a guest visitor

Dr Adil Sheraz

by Dr Adil Sheraz on Thu Jun 21, 2018 10:51 pm

Re: What's best for my child

Dear Anna

Thank you for your question. This will depend on various factors, such the location of the vitiligo, how it impacts on your child, how old he or she is and the skin type. Temporary Cosmetic camouflage does provide much relief for some of my patients who are more conscious of their appearance. In the U.K Changing Faces is a wonderful charity that provides cosmetic camouflage and support to vitiligo sufferers. There are some more permanent tattooing techniques (I am uncertain whether you are referring to this type in your question) that are used however there are risks with such procedures including allergies, scars, infections and also the need for top ups. This is not usually recommended in the U.K. I do of course have patients who have learned to embrace the condition. Children will often react to their condition based on the attitude of the parents, friends, family and baby sitters etc. If the condition does have a profound impact on your child then counselling has been shown to be beneficial with body image, self esteem and also possibly improves the course of the disease. I hope this helps.
Dr Adil Sheraz
Consultant Dermatologist - MBBS, BMEDSCI(HONS), MRCP (UK), MRCP (DERMATOLOGY) (UK)

http://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/on ... sheraz.php

2 posts