Tea tree oil routine

Post your questions about acne and spots here.

Moderator: talkhealth

3 posts
acnesselrodte

by acnesselrodte on Fri Jul 13, 2018 8:46 pm

Tea tree oil routine

Hello! My acne isn’t the worst but it just seems like I clear one pimple up then 3 more come along. It’s really frustrating. I want to start using tea tree oil. I know you’re supposed to use it as a spot treatment but what am I supposed to use as a cleanser before that? Also what’s the best type of moisturizer to use. I really need help! Thanks!

talkhealth

by talkhealth on Mon Jul 16, 2018 5:11 pm

Re: Tea tree oil routine

Hi,

Thanks for your post and welcome to the talkhealth forums.

We have move this post across to our Ask The Experts sessions on acne and spots, so that one of the experts on our panel can provide you with some further information.

Thanks,
The talkhealth Team
talkhealth
Visit our events page https://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/events

Anjali Mahto

by Anjali Mahto on Tue Jul 17, 2018 9:35 pm

Re: Tea tree oil routine

Thank you so much for your skincare related question.

When it comes to acne it is important to ensure that you are cleansing twice a day, both morning and evening. I am not allowed to give you specific product advice but I would highly recommend that you look for cleansers with salicylic acid, glycolic acid, tea tree oil or niacinamide (or a combination!).

It is important to moisturise - definitely in the morning - and at night IF your skin feels dry, tight, sore or scaly. I would look for a light, gel or water-based moisturiser which has "non-comedogenic" on the label. This literally means will not block pores.

If you get any large spots look for targeted spot treatment which contains salicylic acid or tea tree oil - there a number of these on the market.

If despite the above, your skin is still constantly breaking out then i would suggest seeing your GP for a cream treatment which contains either vitamin A, benzoyl peroxide or an antibiotic combo to help target the spots.

I hope that helps and sorry I can't offer specific product advice.

Best wishes,

Anjali
Dr Anjali Mahto
Consultant Dermatologist and British Skin Foundation spokesperson

http://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/on ... _mahto.php

3 posts