Adult acne

Post your questions about acne and spots here.

Moderator: talkhealth

2 posts
lilicauk

by lilicauk on Mon Jul 16, 2018 11:54 am

Adult acne

I am 51 and I STILL have acne since my teens. I've tried about all creams, lotions, gels, soaps, makeup off the counter and a couple of prescriptions, and even changing my diet (vegan for a couple of years now, was vegetarian since early teens); it seems to work for a while and then the acne comes back (face only). It's not severe but the redness takes a very long time to disappear, the skin is bumpy and sometimes it gets quite bad and it feels like it's burning. I absolutely NEVER leave the house, even to take the bins out, without makeup as I feel extremely self-conscious. I don't know what else to try!

Anjali Mahto

by Anjali Mahto on Tue Jul 17, 2018 9:51 pm

Re: Adult acne

Thank you so much for your question and comments.

Based on what you describe, I would highly recommend that you seek medical attention from your GP or a dermatologist again. You give a longstanding history of suffering with your skin, numerous skincare products, dietary changes, burning skin (which suggests sensitivity) as well as not wanting to leave the house without make-up which tells me that your skin is clearly making you self-conscious and affecting how you feel.

I think all of this should be taken very seriously and addressed and I think requires medical input to be able to help you out and make you feel comfortable again in your skin. It is hard to do this in an online forum without the benefit of a clear medical history and assessment of you skin.

Please see your doctor for more assistance as I am sure there is a lot that can be done from a medical point of view to help you out.

I hope that helps and good luck.

My very best wishes,

Anjali
Dr Anjali Mahto
Consultant Dermatologist and British Skin Foundation spokesperson

http://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/on ... _mahto.php

2 posts