Living with spots for years

Post your questions about acne and spots here.

Moderator: talkhealth

2 posts
Guest Posts

by Guest Posts on Mon Jul 16, 2018 5:01 pm

Living with spots for years

Hi, I'm now 18 and I've been living with spots for the past 4 years. Every time I think I've gotten them to go they come back. My face will be clear for a week or two then I'll break out again. I have a fairly consistent routine for my skincare - I use moisturiser, spot cream and face wash but I can't seem to shake them coming back, is there anything else I can do?
- Asked on behalf of Brad
talkhealth team on behalf of a guest visitor

Anjali Mahto

by Anjali Mahto on Tue Jul 17, 2018 9:46 pm

Re: Living with spots for years

Thank you so much for your question.

If you are constantly in a cycle of ongoing spots the first thing that needs to be looked at is the quality of your skincare. Aim to wash your face twice a day, morning and evening and use a moisturiser with the label "non-comedogenic" to help improve the barrier function of your skin.

When choosing skincare ingredients look for products with the following ingredients: salicylic acid, glycolic acid, niacinamide, tea tree oil and benzoyl peroxide. Salicylic acid as a targeted therapy straight onto spots can be very helpful in reducing redness and inflammation. Unfortunately, I am unable to advise you regarding specific products.

If despite doing this for several weeks, your spots are getting worse, affecting how you feel or leaving scarring, you must seek medical attention from your GP who can prescribe you cream treatments or tablets. Do not suffer in silence by yourself if you are struggling.

I hope that helps and best wishes,

Anjali
Dr Anjali Mahto
Consultant Dermatologist and British Skin Foundation spokesperson

http://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/on ... _mahto.php

2 posts