Spots and makeup

Post your questions about acne and spots here.

Moderator: talkhealth

2 posts
Guest Posts

by Guest Posts on Mon Jul 16, 2018 5:04 pm

Spots and makeup

Hi, I find that my skin is very prone to spots and to hide this I've been masking them with makeup. I've been told that this can actually make the spot problems more severe. Is this true? And if so, what can I do to stop myself from going through this cycle of developing spots that I have to hide with make up?
- Asked on behalf of Samantha
talkhealth team on behalf of a guest visitor

Anjali Mahto

by Anjali Mahto on Tue Jul 17, 2018 9:42 pm

Re: Spots and makeup

Thank you very much for this interesting question about spots and make up.

Whilst there is a specific form of acne known as "acne cosmetica", this usually occurs as result of heavy oil-based or greasy cosmetics or the use of some hair care products on the forehead or cheeks. However, the overall impact of wearing cosmetics on the development of acne is considered to be small. I would therefore suggest there is no reason to stop wearing make up if you have acne.

However, take care when choosing your make up products. In general terms, look for light, magnifying, or gel-based textures rather than thick, heavy product. Choose products which are marked with the label "non-comedogenic" - this literally means "will not block pores". Even though it is not a guarantee that the product won't cause acne, it is better than choosing a product which does not carry this label.

If however, your skin is prone to spots then this needs to be addressed with skincare and prescription products if necessary. Ensure your skincare routine (cleansers and moisturisers) contain ingredients such as: salicylic acid, glycolic acid, niacinamide, tea tree oil and benzoyl peroxide. If this does not help then seek medical attention to switch off the acne.

I hope this helps and good luck.

Best wishes,

Anjali
Dr Anjali Mahto
Consultant Dermatologist and British Skin Foundation spokesperson

http://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/on ... _mahto.php

2 posts