Hormonal Acne

Post your questions about acne and spots here.

Moderator: talkhealth

2 posts
mayarose

by mayarose on Mon Jul 16, 2018 5:50 pm

Hormonal Acne

Since I crossed my 30s I have suddenly started getting hormonal spots or acne near my periods and even though I have tried to eat healthy diets and follow natural cleaning routines but still nothing has worked. Please advise.

Anjali Mahto

by Anjali Mahto on Tue Jul 17, 2018 9:15 pm

Re: Hormonal Acne

Thank you very much for your question. There is no doubt that dermatologists are seeing adult acne more frequently in their clinics.

The underlying cause for most people who suffer with acne is hormones and genetics. However, "hormonal" acne is a pattern we often refer to in adult women who notice a worsening of their spots in the second half of their menstrual cycle after ovulation. The spots can often be concentrated in the lower half of the face, neck and jawline but not all scientific studies back this finding up.

The treatments for hormonal acne are usually very similar to the treatments we use for acne across all ages. In the first instance I would look at your skin care routine and try and incorporate cleansers or moisturisers that contain the following ingredients: salicylic acid, glycolic acid, tea tree oil, niacinamide, benzoyl peroxide or vitamin A based treatments like retinol. If you are using skincare for several weeks but your acne is failing to respond, scarring, getting worse or affecting your mental health you should seek professional help from your GP or a dermatologist.

Your GP is likely to offer you a cream treatment which contains either vitamin A, antibiotic or benzoyl peroxide. Failing this, oral medications such as the contraceptive pill or antibiotics can be considered. If this does not help, your GP is likely to refer you to a dermatologist to discuss medications such as Roaccutane (isotretinoin) or spironolactone. A dermatologist will base their decision on the extent and severity of your acne, whether or not there is scarring and how your acne makes you feel.

I hope that helps and good luck with treatments.

Best wishes,

Anjali
Dr Anjali Mahto
Consultant Dermatologist and British Skin Foundation spokesperson

http://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/on ... _mahto.php

2 posts