Microdermabrasion

Post your questions about acne and spots here.

Moderator: talkhealth

3 posts
KellyPercival36

by KellyPercival36 on Mon Jul 16, 2018 9:12 pm

Microdermabrasion

I currently use Duac Gel daily to help tackle my skin. I have very oily skin and get lots of small pimples (as well as some great big spots). I was curious whether microdermabrasion would help?

Anjali Mahto

by Anjali Mahto on Tue Jul 17, 2018 9:07 pm

Re: Microdermabrasion

Thank you so much for your question.

Microdermabrasion effectively is an exfoliation type treatment that uses fine crystals to remove the upper layer of dead skin cells. It is not necessarily an effective treatment for oily skin or the big spots you describe.

I would suggest you are better off looking for skincare - face washes and moisturisers that contain the following ingredients: salicylic acid, benzoyl peroxide, niacinamide, tea tree oil, glycolic acid to help control your oil production and use your prescription Duac regularly.

If after several weeks your skin is not improving, getting worse, causing scarring or affecting your self-esteem, you should return back to your GP to discuss oral medications which may help. I would however not recommend microdermabrasion as your "go-to" option.

I hope that helps and good luck!

Best wishes,

Anjali
Dr Anjali Mahto
Consultant Dermatologist and British Skin Foundation spokesperson

http://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/on ... _mahto.php

Lara J C

by Lara J C on Thu Jul 19, 2018 11:26 am

Re: Microdermabrasion

Hi. Just from experience, I have found microdermabrasion helped my skin to keep clearer. I would recommend 'medical grade' treatments as they work deeper. It is quite expensive though.

3 posts