Menopausal Acne ?

Post your questions about acne and spots here.

Moderator: talkhealth

2 posts
creativz

by creativz on Wed Jul 18, 2018 3:06 pm

Menopausal Acne ?

I’m mid 40’s and have been getting what appears to be cystic acne and spots from ingrown hairs on my jawline and chin for the past couple of years, I never had many spots when I was younger, but now I rarely have days without inflamed hard swollen lumps under the skin, they’re impossible to squeeze as I’ve painfully discovered ! I’m wondering if it may be a symptom of being pre-menopausal ? Will it ease off as things develop ? Any advice or recommendations appreciated. (I don’t wear makeup, cleanse using micellar water, sometimes use atopic moisturisers as I have mild eczema and patchy areas of dry skin, I also suffer from urticaria and take antihistamines daily.) Thanks !

Dr Rachel Abbott

by Dr Rachel Abbott on Thu Jul 19, 2018 10:08 pm

Re: Menopausal Acne ?

Thank you for sharing your experience.

Unfortunately, acne can be associated with changes in hormones around the menopause. This type of acne often occurs around the jawline. Avoiding make-up and greasy moisturisers (non-comedogenic) together with using cleansers containing salicylic acid can be helpful. However, if you are experiencing lumps (nodules) then I suggest you arrange to see your GP or a dermatologist to discuss treatments which are prescription only. This is particularly important if you have any scars resulting from your acne.

With best wishes,

Rachel
Dr Rachel Abbott
Consultant Dermatologist and Mohs surgeon - MBBS, BMEDSCI(HONS), MRCP (UK), MRCP (DERMATOLOGY) (UK)

http://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/on ... abbott.php

2 posts