Hearing aids or cochlear implant?

Browse our forums now - if you wish to talk to others you need to be a member. Simply follow this link, create a username and password, and you could be talking to others in our forums today!

Moderators: talkhealth, Geckoella

3 posts
patriciahheiner

by patriciahheiner on Thu May 12, 2016 12:26 pm

Hearing aids or cochlear implant?

Hi all, I am a female with 35 years old. I was admitted to hospital for 7 days in the last month on IV antibiotics and steroids for meningitis. After that, I was to rest at home for 1 month with more steroids and lost my hearing in both the ears (can’t recognize words, but I can hear beeps and high pitched sounds). I can’t bear the ringing in the ears. My audiologist suggested me for hearing aids and hopefully I can get them by next week, but one of my colleagues was saying about cochlear implant the last day. He says that cochlear implants would be a better choice. I’m really getting mad with the ringing sound in my ears and I just wanna get out of this bloody ringing sound. What are your suggestions? Please, help.
Last edited by talkhealth on Thu May 12, 2016 3:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Promotional content removed as per forum policy

sannces123

by sannces123 on Thu May 12, 2016 12:35 pm

Re: Hearing aids or cochlear implant?

patriciahheiner wrote:Hi all, I am a female with 35 years old. I was admitted to hospital for 7 days in the last month on IV antibiotics and steroids for meningitis. After that, I was to rest at home for 1 month with more steroids and lost my hearing in both the ears (can’t recognize words, but I can hear beeps and high pitched sounds). I can’t bear the ringing in the ears. My audiologist at Hearing Solutions, Toronto suggested me for hearing aids (http://www.hearingsolutions.ca/products/hearing-aids) and hopefully I can get them by next week, but one of my colleagues was saying about cochlear implant the last day. He says that cochlear implants would be a better choice. I’m really getting mad with the ringing sound in my ears and I just wanna get out of this bloody ringing sound. What are your suggestions? Please, help.
Unless you are deaf or have profound hearing loss, you should be just fine with regular hearing aids. Make it sure with your audiologist.

talkhealth

by talkhealth on Mon Jun 20, 2016 7:08 am

Re: Hearing aids or cochlear implant?

I am really sorry to hear you have been unwell and have been in hospital, are you feeling any better. I have attached a link for a blog post on hearing and hearing aids...

http://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/bl ... treatment/

I hope this is helpful. Have you been back to your GP/consultant to tell them, anything they have suggested as to how long it may last?

Helen
talkhealth
Visit our events page https://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/events

3 posts