Apologies if this is inappropriate -- my wife seems to always be tired

Browse our forums now - if you wish to talk to others you need to be a member. Simply follow this link, create a username and password, and you could be talking to others in our forums today!

Moderators: talkhealth, Geckoella

3 posts
My_UserName

by My_UserName on Tue Jan 25, 2022 8:10 pm

Apologies if this is inappropriate -- my wife seems to always be tired

I married a woman a few years older than I am. I'm 45, she will turn 52 this year. She's a stay at home mom, and she home schools our son.

I'm concerned because she seems like she's constantly tired. She says she has insomnia and doesn't sleep well, but it seems like she NEVER sleeps well -- ever. And it often times affects our intimacy and how often we are intimate. We've been married nearly 18 years, and early on in our marriage we were intimate far more often (probably because it was we were trying to conceive, and could basically be intimate whenever we wanted at home).

But now, it's like she's constantly tired.

It's worrying. She doesn't seem to want to go to a doctor (especially now, with COVID going on).

She thinks that it's partially because she's always had insomnia, but she also thinks she's going through perimenopause.

Could this just be insomnia? I'm hoping it's not anything like sleep apnea.

Any thoughts?

divyasharma

by divyasharma on Mon Jun 26, 2023 1:12 pm

Re: Apologies if this is inappropriate -- my wife seems to always be tired

I'm not a doctor, but I can try to provide some general information that might help you understand the situation better. It's important to note that consulting a healthcare professional is always the best course of action for addressing specific health concerns.

Insomnia can indeed be a possible cause of constant tiredness. Insomnia is a sleep disorder characterized by difficulty falling asleep, staying asleep, or both. It can lead to sleep deprivation, daytime fatigue, and a range of other symptoms. Stress, anxiety, lifestyle factors, and hormonal changes (such as those occurring during perimenopause) can contribute to the development or worsening of insomnia.

Perimenopause is the transitional phase leading up to menopause when a woman's body gradually produces less estrogen. It typically occurs in the late 40s or early 50s and can cause various physical and emotional changes. Sleep disturbances, including insomnia, are common symptoms during perimenopause due to hormonal fluctuations.

While it's difficult to diagnose the exact cause of your wife's tiredness without a medical evaluation, there are several possibilities to consider. It could be a combination of factors, including insomnia, perimenopause-related sleep disturbances, or even other underlying health issues. Sleep apnea, for instance, is a sleep disorder characterized by pauses in breathing during sleep, often accompanied by loud snoring and gasping for air.

Encourage your wife to consult a healthcare professional, such as a primary care physician or a gynecologist, to discuss her symptoms in detail. They can evaluate her overall health, assess any underlying conditions, and provide appropriate guidance or treatment options. They may also recommend a sleep study to assess her sleep patterns and identify any potential sleep disorders like sleep apnea.

Additionally, it's essential to have open and empathetic communication with your wife about her concerns. Discuss the impact her tiredness is having on your relationship and intimacy, and emphasize your support in finding a solution together.

MissCandyGirl

by MissCandyGirl on Sun Jul 02, 2023 11:54 am

Re: Apologies if this is inappropriate -- my wife seems to always be tired

divyasharma wrote:
Mon Jun 26, 2023 1:12 pm
I'm not a doctor, but I can try to provide some general information that might help you understand the situation better. It's important to note that consulting a healthcare professional is always the best course of action for addressing specific health concerns.

Insomnia can indeed be a possible cause of constant tiredness. Insomnia is a sleep disorder characterized by difficulty falling asleep, staying asleep, or both. It can lead to sleep deprivation, daytime fatigue, and a range of other symptoms. Stress, anxiety, lifestyle factors, and hormonal changes (such as those occurring during perimenopause) can contribute to the development or worsening of insomnia.

Perimenopause is the transitional phase leading up to menopause when a woman's body gradually produces less estrogen. It typically occurs in the late 40s or early 50s and can cause various physical and emotional changes. Sleep disturbances, including insomnia, are common symptoms during perimenopause due to hormonal fluctuations.

While it's difficult to diagnose the exact cause of your wife's tiredness without a medical evaluation, there are several possibilities to consider. It could be a combination of factors, including insomnia, perimenopause-related sleep disturbances, or even other underlying health issues. Sleep apnea, for instance, is a sleep disorder characterized by pauses in breathing during sleep, often accompanied by loud snoring and gasping for air.

Encourage your wife to consult a healthcare professional, such as a primary care physician or a gynecologist, to discuss her symptoms in detail. They can evaluate her overall health, assess any underlying conditions, and provide appropriate guidance or treatment options. They may also recommend a sleep study to assess her sleep patterns and identify any potential sleep disorders like sleep apnea.

Additionally, it's essential to have open and empathetic communication with your wife about her concerns. Discuss the impact her tiredness is having on your relationship and intimacy, and emphasize your support in finding a solution together.
I agree fully with this post.

Heed the advice.

3 posts