PCOS = insuline resistance?

Browse our forums now - if you wish to talk to others you need to be a member. Simply follow this link, create a username and password, and you could be talking to others in our forums today!

Moderators: talkhealth, Geckoella

6 posts
daria_sheynkman

by daria_sheynkman on Wed Mar 19, 2014 1:44 pm

PCOS = insuline resistance?

Hello, here's my case. I've been diagnosed with PCOS several years ago. I used to recieve oral contraceptives as a supporting treatment AND contraceptive means. Now I am planning a pregnancy and my doctor seeks for a proper treatment. She suspects that I might have an atypical metabolic syndrome - atypical because my weight is normal. She thinks that I might be insuline resistant and recommends metformin to normalize my testosterone. To check myself I underwent several bloodtests.

My condition: high testosterone (4,6), but normal insuline, normal glucose, normal results of glucose tolerance test, normal NOMA index. Normal weight. Other hormones that might trigger high testosterone are also within the normal values. Multiple follicules on both ovaries. Anovulation suspected. Long irregular cycle (31-48 days). Painful menstruation till reaching age 23-24 (now I'm 27 and it got better).

Cases in my family: my grandmother developed diabetis II in senior age. No information about PCOS among other relatives. My mother had some hormonal instability, but never actually treated or thoroughly inspected it due to having regular menstrual cycles - unlike me.

Question #1: how do you think, should I STILL consider posibility that I might have insuline resistance?

Question #2: My doctor insists that, inspite my normal test results, I should start taking metformin anyway. Can metformin be harmful for a person with no insuline/glucose problems? Can it trigger insuline/glucose problems in future? Is there a possibility to develop type II diabetis - like my grandma?

I understand, that it's not going to be medical advice, I just want some independent opinion. Thank you. :|

daria_sheynkman

by daria_sheynkman on Fri Mar 21, 2014 4:46 am

Re: PCOS = insuline resistance?

Helen, thank you for the hint. Are there going to be any further on-line clinics?

AliciaGoods

by AliciaGoods on Wed Feb 24, 2016 2:05 pm

Re: PCOS = insuline resistance?

nice hint...

6 posts