milia, uneven skin tone

Browse our forums now - if you wish to talk to others you need to be a member. Simply follow this link, create a username and password, and you could be talking to others in our forums today!

Moderators: talkhealth, Geckoella

2 posts
nishapatel26

by nishapatel26 on Sun Apr 26, 2015 7:15 pm

milia, uneven skin tone

Hi,

i wanted to know how i can get rid of under eye milia. i have had this milia for about a year now and i think it's getting bigger and it's really annoying me. i looked up online and the home remedies involve exfoiliating, but i don't feel comfortable exfoiliating under eye area as its very sensitive.

are there any products that i can use that are suitable for under eye area? is it possible to get rid of milia under a month? do i have to get a treatment done?

I also have very bad uneven skin tone, i think one of the reasons is that i have PCOS, but i have had it for a very long time about 10 to 15 years. How can i get rid of that? i dont think medications to control my hormones are helping.

Thanks

Justine Greenwood

by Justine Greenwood on Tue May 05, 2015 12:14 pm

Re: milia, uneven skin tone

Hello,

Milia are very commonly seen around the cheeks and under the eyes of infants and adults. They are small, white cysts formed when a substance called keratin becomes trapped under the skin, usually at the base of a hair follicle.

Milia in infants usually resolves itself within a couple of weeks, however the adult version can be longer lasting. Milia are usually harmless and do not require treatment.

If you do want them to be removed, milia may be removed using a fine needle and then squeezing, or pricking, out the contents. This must always be done by a healthcare professional. I would never recommend trying to remove milia at home because this can lead to scarring.

You say you feel it is getting bigger? Usually milia are 1-2mm in size. Due to the fact that you say it is getting bigger and annoying you, I would recommend you make an appointment with your GP to see about having them removed. I would also discuss your uneven skin tone and the medication you are taking with the GP, especially if you feel it is not helping you.

I hope this helps,

Justine
Justine Greenwood
Learning and Development Pharmacist, Rowlands Pharmacy
http://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/on ... enwood.php

2 posts