Haemoroidectomy

Browse our forums now - if you wish to talk to others you need to be a member. Simply follow this link, create a username and password, and you could be talking to others in our forums today!

Moderators: talkhealth, Geckoella

2 posts
karenhemsley

by karenhemsley on Wed Jun 17, 2015 2:07 pm

Haemoroidectomy

I had an operation to remove piles in 2010. Afterwards I was stitched up too tightly and still suffer great pain on passing daily stools. I was given a metal cone to try & rectify the situation but it didn't help. Is there anything else I can do to make life al little less painful?

Regards,
Karen

Sarah Buchan

by Sarah Buchan on Mon Jun 22, 2015 2:42 pm

Re: Haemoroidectomy

Dear Karen,

Thank you for posting your question, I am sorry to hear that you have had continued pain after your surgery.

A conventional haemorroidectomy involves gentle opening of the anus so that the haemorroids may be cut out. There is around a 1 in 20 chance of these haemorroids returning although this is lower than non-surgical treatments. A high fibre diet after surgery is recommended to reduce this risk.

NHS Choices advise that any patient experiencing worsening pain around the anus after surgery should contact the hospital unit where the procedure was carried out or their GP. In this instance I would advise you to do this Karen, to determine the best course of treatment.

In the meantime, you may find some relief from taking painkillers such as paracetamol or ibuprofen unitl you can be seen by your GP or hospital unit.

I hope that you soon experience relief from these symptoms.

Take care,

Sarah
Sarah Buchan
Clinical Pharmacist, Rowlands Pharmacy
http://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/on ... buchan.php

2 posts