Help!

Moderators: talkhealth, Geckoella

2 posts
sophiesmummy

by sophiesmummy on Wed Sep 09, 2015 5:30 am

Help!

I am suffering from prolonged periods and I am not sure what to do as every time I mention the problem to my GP they make me feel like I have asked them something that they do not know or want to talk about and I need the help now as my prolonged periods are draining all of my energy and stopping me from sleeping properly at night. I was wondering what the best treatment for my prolonged periods you can suggest for me as I am a little over weight for my height (I'm only 5'1). Myself and my fiancé have talked about what treatment we think is best for me, but I do not want to go back on the pill if it can be helped as myself and my fiancé would like to start our own family, but I need something to stop my prolonged periods ASAP as we are attending a wedding in just over a week and I do not want to be worrying about leaking everywhere as the wedding is a member of my family's and I don't want to embarrass myself or the happy couple.

Justine Greenwood

by Justine Greenwood on Mon Sep 14, 2015 2:23 pm

Re: Help!

Dear Sophiesmummy,

Thank you for your post, I hope I can help.

First I need to clarify what you mean by 'prolonged periods.' Do you mean that they go on for longer that you'd expect? A typical bleed lasts between 3 and 7 days. A bleed that lasts for longer than 7 days is classed as irregular and I really would recommend review with a GP.

Treatment for irregular periods may not always be necessary. NHS choices recommends that you should see your GP if:
•you have bleeding or spotting between periods or after sex
•you have very heavy periods, where you need to change your tampon or pad every hour or two, or you have to wear both a pad and a tampon
•you experience heavy bleeding that floods into your bed or through your clothes
•your periods last longer than seven days
•your periods are more frequent than once a month

Or do you mean your periods are heavy? A good indication that your period is excessive is if:
•you feel you are using an unusually high number of tampons or pads
•you experience flooding (heavy bleeding) through to your clothes or bedding
•you need to use tampons and towels together

Heavy periods can be caused by many different factors. This condition is usually diagnosed by the doctor and there are treatments available, some of which are not contraceptives.

I really do believe that to solve your problem, you will need to make an appointment with your GP. You also mention that you are feeling tired, which could be linked to the blood loss.

If you would like to post a little more information about your problem I will try to help you further. Alternatively I think you're best making an appointment with the GP again.

I really hope you can enjoy your family wedding,

Justine
Justine Greenwood
Learning and Development Pharmacist, Rowlands Pharmacy
http://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/on ... enwood.php

2 posts