Potential PCOS and mystery occasional reccuring infection

Moderators: talkhealth, Geckoella

2 posts
Melfordgeert

by Melfordgeert on Wed Apr 01, 2020 1:35 am

Potential PCOS and mystery occasional reccuring infection

Hi, I've been seeing an endocrinologist regarding potential pcos. She has put me on metformin for that. However I an also trying to work out if what I have is pcos or something else. I'm hoping someone on here can help to shed some light on this!
- irregular periods
- periods sometimes incredibly painful/ heavy
- acne
- exhaustion
- low libido
- ongoing uterine ache/ pain
- infection/ high white blood cell count brought on by period
- very low metabolism
- occasional discomfort after sex

My regular GP sent me for an ultrasound about four years ago to check for pcos, and it was inconclusive. Due to ongoing symptoms she has referred me to the endocrinologist. I've been on metformin for three months and it seems to have helped with acne and periods.
I have had really bad and irregular periods since not long after they started (when I was 11). I was on the pill briefly in my 20's. When I was 19 I was also diagnosed with potential chronic/adrenal fatigue and have continued to need to manage that very carefully. My very difficult periods seem to have gotten worse over time, I am now 36. I have also had low level pain/aching in my uterine area at all times, even when not menstruating or ovulating.
I have seen various doctors and naturopaths through the years. The naturopathic treatments (the supplement Gyno Clear, intense liver support etc) has reduced the continuous uterine pain, and occasionally eased the periods.
In 2017 for the first time I got some kind of uterine/urinary infection after sex. I assumed it was a uti and the pharmacist gave me antibiotics. However since then the same thing has repeated several times, both in relation to my period and sometimes sex. I was sent for a colposcopy in 2018 and afterwards had the same feeling: it comes on suddenly, a very shaky feeling, with an ache spreading from my uterine area that I describe to people as feeling 'poisonous' or dangerous. I also feel very weak and sick. It doesn't happen every period, and seems to only happen if it's a 'bad' period.
Once I had bleeding during sex, and it felt the same after that.
It happened badly last month during a bad period that lasted a week, after I had been inconsistent with metformin. I managed to get a urine sample for the doctor. My white blood cell count was up so I was fighting an infection They sent it to test and see if it's a uti, but it wasn't.
Has anyone experienced this before?
Even though the mystery infection only started in 2017, I am wondering if it relates to the symptoms I have been struggling with for over two decades.

talkhealth

by talkhealth on Fri Apr 17, 2020 3:37 pm

Re: Potential PCOS and mystery occasional reccuring infectio

Hi Melfordgeert,

Thank you for posting on the forum. Sorry to hear of your frustrating hormone journey. Hopefully other members who are going through a similar experience will be able to help you soon. Hormones are just so complex that they can leave many a woman completely frustrated with the mounting symptoms if there is an im-balance.

You may want to contact one of our partner charities 'Womens-health Concern' as they provide a confidential, independent service to advise, reassure and educate women of all ages about their gynaecological and sexual health, wellbeing and lifestyle concerns. They don't just deal with menopausal issues.
Please find link to their website here:

https://www.womens-health-concern.org/

Also here is some info on Metformin

https://www.nhs.uk/medicines/metformin/

Kind regards
talkhealth
talkhealth
Visit our events page https://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/events

2 posts