Started my period a year ago, don't think this is normal

Moderators: talkhealth, Geckoella

4 posts
dxzaichipx

by dxzaichipx on Fri Nov 20, 2020 1:18 am

Started my period a year ago, don't think this is normal

Hi! If I could possibly have just a few minutes of your time, whether you’re a doctor or just a fellow person who menstruates, it would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

I’m 13 years old and at the end of June last year I got my first period. I had been dreading this moment my whole life and it completely threw me off guard, but I sucked it up and put on a panty liner (thinking it was a pad at the time.) I began to think, “Hey, this isn’t so bad.” I was quickly proven wrong. That night, after ruining another pair of underwear and putting on a proper pad, I picked up one of the books my mother gave me a few years prior and read that your first period was supposed to be short and light. Mine was not. It lasted about 9 days and was a moderately heavy flow, stretching into the next month. Not to mention, I began sleeping sitting upright on my couch because I was absolutely petrified of leaking onto the bed. I still do every time I start my period. Once it finally ended I was so relieved that I could sleep in my bed again. Fast forward to July and it starts back up again on the 29th, the same date as last month and it lasted around 9 days again. Come August, it doesn’t come. I don’t think much of it because hey, I get a break this month, right? Then September comes and it starts again. Only this time it doesn’t stop. I bleed and I bleed and October comes and goes and suddenly we’re in November, I’m still bleeding fairly heavily. (I feel like it’s worth noting that one day I was at school and managed to get through 2 very fully used pads within 3 hours, and I actually had to go home that day because it was so bad) I had tried birth control to attempt to slow it down but it appeared to make things worse. I get an ultrasound which revealed nothing and a few days later it stops, thank goodness.
The next month comes and it falls into a weird pattern of skipping every other month and lasting for about 5 days. It seemed like a pretty good deal for me. But then another weird thing happens, I have my period, 5 days, and then it stops, however not 2 weeks later it starts up again and lasts about a week. Since then it’s been irregular but still coming almost every month, (I skipped September this year) and I am at my wit’s end. The mental and physical toll it takes on my body each month is stressful beyond belief and I feel as if I can no longer trust my own body. I’m constantly wondering when it’s going to come and it uproots my entire life when it does. I don’t feel safe anymore. I’ve started wearing pads all the time because I never know when it’s going to come. I don’t want to take birth control because I fear it will make things worse or won’t work at all, or I’ll forget to take it one day and start bleeding again. I really want to get a hysterectomy but my parents don’t approve and nobody would be willing to remove the reproductive organs of a healthy young girl. I don’t even want kids and I’m being tortured by my own body every month.
It’s been a little over a year since I started but I really don’t think I can take much more of this. This could just be me whining about having my period but I really don’t think this is normal, especially for someone who just started it. I know it’s supposed to be irregular for a couple years after starting but I really don’t want to live in fear anymore.

wonderize

by wonderize on Mon Nov 29, 2021 6:32 am

Re: Started my period a year ago, don't think this is normal

A year is quite a long time to ignore or wait for things to get streamlined. Especially when it comes to menstruation health. If you feel that your body is going through some abnormal changes, you should immediately consult the doctor and take the necessary actions. Instead of waiting month after month, follow your doctor's prescription as excessive blood loss may lead to other diseases. Meanwhile, as you start medication, use a period panty or ultra-dry, sanitary pad to absorb the heavy and long-lasting period flow properly.

MissCandyGirl

by MissCandyGirl on Sat Dec 04, 2021 7:19 am

Agreed, wonderize.

heavybleeder

by heavybleeder on Mon Feb 28, 2022 6:00 pm

Oh how I can relate to this post, I felt as if I was there... I'm 27 now and I think I need therapy to make peace with how much distress my period has caused me. When I was in highschool I'd have to leave in the middle of the day because after one hour of sitting down in class, the moment I'd get up the blood would just start streaming down my legs. The idiotic expensive tampons and pads just didn't absorb anything, might as well not have worn any. Pretty much the same story every month: pack half a bag of tampons/pads, try to get through the first hour, get up to stretch my legs, stain, run in the bathroom, call a cab, explain to cab driver that I'm covered in blood and I need to go home...
Month, after month, after month.

The peak was when I got off a plane and had to jump on a bus to complete a journey... by the time I got to the bus station I had my winter coat COVERED in blood, couldn't do anything to hide it or take my clothes of as I was swimming in it by this time, there were no spare seats on the bus so I had to just try not to burst into f***ing tears due to the shame and wait to get home...

It was only when I was 25 that I FINALLY managed to get some peace when my boyfriend got me a menstrual cup... I just tried and tested loads of them and found the ''KUXI cup'' for heavy bleeders. That's when I started to have a normal life again on my period... I still wear a pad I think just out of fear but if you've not tried a cup yet, you MUST. Sincerely, a very heavy bleeder. x

4 posts