Torn perineum in labour

Moderators: talkhealth, Geckoella

5 posts
Lisavella

by Lisavella on Mon Mar 17, 2014 3:54 pm

Torn perineum in labour

I had my baby girl (2nd baby) in October 2011. My perineum tore in labour but wasn't stitched. I didn't really notice/care until about 6 months ago when I realised a lot of bulging below when I was in the shower. I was referred to a physio and the pelvic floor exercises have really helped, I am happy with the results and as long as I keep them up the bulging is not so bad. However, I still have a gaping hole which I am finding more and more difficult to live with. I have been really lucky...I don't have any kind of incontinence issues with my bowel or bladder....but I can still feel that bowel movements are difficult sometimes as my bowel is trying to come down through the hole.

I originally went to the GP/hospital with the thought that I could just get this bit sewn back up! But they started to talk about very long and complicated surgery, tying the bowel back up etc and that scared me right off!

However, I have since heard that corrective surgery for perineum tears is available where this small bit can be sewn back up. Can you advise me if this is the case? Does this type of surgery exist?

Many thanks

(P.S. I am so disappointed that I missed the online forum for gynecology last month!)

Lisavella

by Lisavella on Wed Mar 19, 2014 2:36 pm

Re: Torn perineum in labour

Hi Helen,
Thank you for taking the time to reply.

No offence, but what is the point of this website and forum if there is not some way I can get advice from a health professional or doctor? I wasn't asking for advice nor a diagnosis on my particular problem....I was asking if such a procedure even existed and if someone could confirm that then, yes I would go back to my GP and ask if it would be suitable for me.

I thought this website/forum was a way to get access to medical information...is that not the case?

Lisa

Geckerde

by Geckerde on Thu Jan 03, 2019 10:30 am

Re: Torn perineum in labour

Lisavella wrote:I had my baby girl (2nd baby) in October 2011. My perineum tore in labour but wasn't stitched. I didn't really notice/care until about 6 months ago when I realised a lot of bulging below when I was in the shower. I was referred to a physio and the pelvic floor exercises have really helped, I am happy with the results and as long as http://backvirginity.com/v-tight-gel-reviews/ I keep them up the bulging is not so bad. However, I still have a gaping hole which I am finding more and more difficult to live with. I have been really lucky...I don't have any kind of incontinence issues with my bowel or bladder....but I can still feel that bowel movements are difficult sometimes as my bowel is trying to come down through the hole.

I originally went to the GP/hospital with the thought that I could just get this bit sewn back up! But they started to talk about very long and complicated surgery, tying the bowel back up etc and that scared me right off!

However, I have since heard that corrective surgery for perineum tears is available where this small bit can be sewn back up. Can you advise me if this is the case? Does this type of surgery exist?

Many thanks

(P.S. I am so disappointed that I missed the online forum for gynecology last month!)
i think you need a great answer of this question

5 posts