Excess vaginal discharge & cramping

Moderators: talkhealth, Geckoella

4 posts
theotherhelen

by theotherhelen on Tue May 06, 2014 12:46 pm

Excess vaginal discharge & cramping

I'm 25, otherwise healthy & not in a relationship but on birth control

For almost 4 months now I've been experiencing excess white discharge almost constantly, which is always accompanied by abdominal cramping - it feels much like a period pain and isn't localised to a single spot. It used to be constant for about 6 weeks, now it comes and goes and I'll have it for a few days, then it'll settle down, then flare up. It always seems to get worse after I've been examined, which is always very painful anyway.

I've been back and forward to the doctors, who at first thought it was thrush due to the discharge (which doesn't smell and isn't like cottage cheese, it's just excessive). I was given treatment for thrush which didn't make any difference. I was then examined by another doctor who agreed about the thrush and gave me more treatment...which didn't work. I was then tested for thrush and any STIs, but both were negative.

I was then tested for any infections - bacterial vaginosis, pelvic inflammatory etc- all negative.
I've had an ultrasound scan which found everything to be normal.

I was then tried on several courses of antibiotics for the above infections, 'just incase'. After the third course of ofloxacilin I found some improvement, but as soon as I stopped taking it hte discharge and cramp returned.

After that I was referred to a gynaecologist who I waited 2 months to see, who examined me and said...yes... thrush.He even said the pain and the discharge probably weren't related , but I firmly disagree. Despite the 4+ treatments I've had for thrush and 2 negative tests for thrush. Anyway, so now I'm on a course of fluconazole (1 a day every 3 days, then 1 a week for 2 months) - it doesn't seem to making any difference.

I'm at the complete end of my tether and seem to be going around in circles. I'd be massively grateful for any advice or suggestions as to this problem.

Jacqueline09

by Jacqueline09 on Mon May 12, 2014 2:50 pm

Re: Excess vaginal discharge & cramping

Hi Helen, I would say stop going to Doctors and go and see a naturopath or homeopathist - sounds like you don't have thrush and taking meds is only going to add to the imbalance in your system which is causing your symptoms. Is coming off the pill an option? This would allow your body to regulate your cycle.
The cramping is due to a magnesium deficiency so you could try supplementing 1x100mg tablet in the afternoon and another before bed. While this helps alleviate symptoms there is clearly something deeper going on so it would also be good to alkalise your diet to reduce the acidity/cramping and increase your hydration, both mechanical (water) and biochemical (fish oils - you can use tablets)

You want to let the body rebalance and detox whatever the internal stress is that's causing the discharge. It may seem harder than taking medication but in the long run it will serve you much better. I know I spent 10yrs rebuilding myself!
Hope that's helpful.
Jacqueline.
Last edited by Guest on Mon May 12, 2014 10:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: unauthorised URL removed, check forum rules.

David147

by David147 on Sat May 02, 2015 11:40 am

Re: Excess vaginal discharge & cramping

Keep an eye on the discharge. If it gets clumpy, has a smell to it or is any color other than clear (clear means you are simply ovulating), it could be a sign of a yeast infection or furthermore, bacterial vaginosis. Both Yeast Infections and Bacterial Vaginosis have similar symptoms, but the most common symptom of Bacterial Vaginosis is a foul or fishy smell down there. That has to be treated by a doctor because they give you a prescription cream for it.

Try an over the counter treatment like Monistat 7 (grocery brand is OK as well, and cheaper), get some azo yeast pills from walgreens and get some probiotic pills (bacillus). All of those should help balance out your PH.

4 posts