Brenvoir contraceptive pill

Moderators: talkhealth, Geckoella

2 posts
Sarah Buchan

by Sarah Buchan on Fri Apr 17, 2015 4:51 pm

Re: Brenvoir contraceptive pill

Hi Rebecca,

Thank you for your post. I think the contraceptive pill you are taking is Brevinor?

Brevinor is a combined oral contraceptive (COC) pill which contains both an oestrogen component (ethinylestradiol) and progestogen component (norethisterone). It is designed to be taken for 21 days starting on the first day of your period with a 7 day break after 21 days before commencing the next pack. In some circumstances, under medical advice only, the packs can be taken without a break and this will prevent the bleed during the 7 day break.

Due to the action of the ingredients in Brevinor, periods can become irregular, lighter or occassionally not occur during tablet-free days. It is important to keep a note of any irregularities in bleeding pattern to discuss with your GP, nurse or family planning clinic at your next appointment.

Patients taking COC's should undergo regular medical check ups and blood pressure measurements to ensure that they are prescribed the most effective contraception for their needs.

If the pill is taken incorrectly, i.e. a dose is missed, or you are unwell during your cycle and vomitting occurs, the full contraceptive effect is not experienced, in which case barrier protection must be used. If you are concerned that you have not experienced full contraceptive effect, I would advise you to take a pregnancy test and disucss any positive outcome from this with your GP or family planning clinic.
If the tablets have been taken regularly and you have not been unwell, I would make an appointment for a review of your pill and discuss this with your GP, nurse or family planning clinic.

I hope this advice has been helpful for you

Take care,

Sarah
Sarah Buchan
Clinical Pharmacist, Rowlands Pharmacy
http://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/on ... buchan.php

2 posts