Ongoing periods

Moderators: talkhealth, Geckoella

2 posts
tazzmaz20

by tazzmaz20 on Fri May 01, 2015 11:39 am

Ongoing periods

I have had ongoing periods that can last up to 2 weeks ,,,its scaring me now coz im thinkinking im loosing a lot of blood ,,is that true,,its been going on for months im too scared to go see my gp because he might say its nothing,,and now when i pee i get a painful burn afterwards ,,lost my appetite and weight,,,does anyone know what it is,,i got coil in my arm so i thought it was that but its not stopping

Justine Greenwood

by Justine Greenwood on Tue May 05, 2015 12:52 pm

Re: Ongoing periods

Dear tazzmaz20,

Thank you for your post. I can appreciate how worried you must be.

I have a few questions for you that might help me answer you fully.

How long have your periods been lasting for up to two weeks? Menstrual bleeding usually lasts two to seven days. Bleeding that lasts longer than 7 days usually requires a review by the GP.

When you feel like you are losing a lot of blood, how often are you having to change your tampon towel? Usually, if you are having to change them every one or two hours, your period is considered as heavy. Also, if you are flooding the bed or through your clothes. Do you have any other symptoms?

When did you have your implant in your arm fitted? NHS choices advises that in the first year after the implant is fitted, your periods may become irregular, lighter, heavier or longer. This usually settles down after the first year.

I know you feel scared to see your GP, but I really do feel that with your situation you would benefit from an appointment. I honestly do not think you would be wasting their time and I am sure they will be happy to help put your mind at ease.

The burning sensation could be due to a number of things such as an infection that needs to be treated by the GP. Please do make an appointment. If you do not feel comfortable describing your problem to the GP, you could always print out this post you have sent me to show them?

Please do let me know how you get on. If you would like more information, NHS choices has lots of useful information regarding irregular periods, available at http://www.nhs.uk/conditions/periods-ir ... ction.aspx

Best wishes,

Justine
Justine Greenwood
Learning and Development Pharmacist, Rowlands Pharmacy
http://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/on ... enwood.php

2 posts