mentrulation cycles and contraceptive injection depovera

Moderators: talkhealth, Geckoella

2 posts
cuddlybear

by cuddlybear on Fri Jun 19, 2015 2:06 pm

mentrulation cycles and contraceptive injection depovera

Hiya, I'm here looking for advise on what to do with my cycles after coming off the injection.

In January 2015 I came off the injection (depovera), and my period came back on the 11th of may 2015. I am now currently 11 days over due on a 28 day cycle, leaving me on day 39 of my cycle.

I have been on the depovera before, and never had any problems other than the wait for my first period to come back, and my periods returned back to the 28 day cycle every month.

I wondering if I should take a hpt or is it just me being cautious, and worried because of a previous miscarriage.

Please could I receive some advise? Thank you

Sarah Buchan

by Sarah Buchan on Mon Jun 22, 2015 1:56 pm

Re: mentrulation cycles and contraceptive injection depovera

Dear cuddlybear,

Many thanks for posting your question, I hope my advice will be helpful.

Depo-Provera is a progestogen containing injection which acts to thicken the mucus in the cervix, preventing the sperm reaching the egg and fertilisation occuring.

The injection lasts for 12 weeks however it can take 8 - 12 weeks once stopping the injection for the progestogen to leave the body. Side effects of the Depo-Provera injection include irregular bleeding and this may continue for up to one year after the injection wears off for your fertility and bleeding pattern to return to "normal" - i.e. whatever it was prior to receiving the injections.

Since you have had no previous problems with your menstrual cycle when stopping the injection, I would advise firstly that you take a pregnancy test to confirm that you are not already pregnant and then I would advise that you make an appointment with your GP or family planning clinic to discuss the best options for you.

Please do not hesitate to get back in touch if you have any further questions.

Take care,

Sarah
Sarah Buchan
Clinical Pharmacist, Rowlands Pharmacy
http://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/on ... buchan.php

2 posts