vaginal irritation /rawness in 6year old girl

Moderators: talkhealth, Geckoella

2 posts
magsmae111

by magsmae111 on Tue Jul 21, 2015 2:29 pm

vaginal irritation /rawness in 6year old girl

Please help my little girl has suffered with awful vaginal irritation itchness and rawness inside and out doctors reluctant to prescribe things except clotrimazole 1%cream and sudacream which never helps she sometimes has a bit of mild thrush but its been checked and more to do with irritation have tried metanoum cream special products washing like soapfree bathing products eg dermol etc she has low IgA antibodies condition n is on azirhromycin 3times a week permanently she also uses inhalers. My doctor suggests diflucan but wont prescribe it .should I try this and what cream would help daily as she is in awful pain n discomfort. This has been ongoing for long time no fungal infections were found as she was tested

Justine Greenwood

by Justine Greenwood on Mon Jul 27, 2015 10:26 am

Re: vaginal irritation /rawness in 6year old girl

Dear magsmae111,

I am sorry to hear of your daughter's trouble. I can appreciate how difficult this must be to manage.

From what you have said, it sounds as though you are trying everything your GP is recommending. In pharmacy, we are unable to recommend and sell fungal treatments such as diflucan (fluconazole) to girls under 16 years of age.

I would recommend the following self care advice from NHS Choices to minimise irritation and to make a GP appointment to discuss your daughter's condition further. The GP might recommend a different treatment such as a personal lubricant.

Keep the genital area clean and dry – take a warm bath rather than a hot one and use plain, unperfumed soap to clean the area (the vagina cleans itself with natural secretions); dry thoroughly.

Avoiding douching (spraying water inside the vagina) – it may make symptoms worse, by removing the healthy bacteria that line the vagina and help keep it free from infection.

Do not be tempted to use feminine hygiene products – such as sprays, deodorants or powders.

Ensure your daughter wears loose-fitting cotton underwear – don't wear underwear at night while sleeping.

Best wishes,

Justine
Justine Greenwood
Learning and Development Pharmacist, Rowlands Pharmacy
http://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/on ... enwood.php

2 posts