Can you wear a wig in a swimming pool?

Moderators: talkhealth, Geckoella

7 posts
RebeccaD

by RebeccaD on Mon Oct 19, 2015 3:12 pm

Can you wear a wig in a swimming pool?

I regularly meet ladies that avoid doing their favorite activities because they wear a wig. There is no reason why you can’t continue as normal when you wear any hair additions, you just need to know what to do! There are a number of options:

I’m not really one for swimming but when I have, I’ve found caps or headbands do me just fine. You can get some really funky swim caps if you search for them.

For ladies that have removable hair, I would avoid putting your beautiful real hair in sea salt or chlorine as it will only dry it out quicker. You could buy a cheaper synthetic wig and tie it back. If you want to swim underwater I’d wear a swimming cap over the top. You don’t need the waterproof kind, just a cap to hold it securely in place.

Another option is to sew wefts of hair (similar to their own) onto stretchy bands that can be worn under swim caps or any other head covering. It’s much more comfortable and it really does look authentic. It’s so easy to look after and the hair can be replaced very easily when worn out.

If you have a hair system (anything that’s semi-permanently attached) you can reduce the effects of chlorine by showering before you get in the pool. Hair is a bit like a sponge and will absorb the clean water. When you get out, wash with the correct shampoo’s and conditioners. You can also add a conditioning spray prior to getting into the pool or sea.
Attachments
6038813637_038e56a19c_z.jpg
6038813637_038e56a19c_z.jpg (324.7 KiB) Viewed 12991 times
Rebecca
Forum Moderator
talkhealth moderation team

Read Rebecca's blog for more information about alopecia and hair loss - http://hairnecessity.co.uk/

danakerr

by danakerr on Fri Oct 30, 2015 1:52 am

Re: Can you wear a wig in a swimming pool?

This is what's good about innovation. It makes a lot of people happy. Before, it is very difficult to find wigs that can hold up in water. Now, it is no longer a big deal to swim with wig. :) I've seen many fashionable wigs now and the good thing is, even those who do not suffer from hair loss wear it. It is now for everybody! :)

Ammandaa

by Ammandaa on Tue Sep 26, 2017 11:43 am

Thnx, this is very interesting information from people who usually use a wig. for me for example

arvbuttar

by arvbuttar on Sun Apr 21, 2019 8:11 am

Hi,
Great information. Reall helpful for swim lovers.
Thanks.

avasthisamar

by avasthisamar on Tue May 07, 2019 10:07 am

Thanks for the help.

mymeditravel

by mymeditravel on Wed Nov 20, 2019 4:47 am

Wearing a wig is a scary thing for women. Because if the wig dislodges it will be a laughing gag for the people, so you've to be attentive all the time when you're outside home. I can't think of swimming wearing a wig.

But the ways provided by here seems inspiring. :D

lizza_johnson_10

by lizza_johnson_10 on Tue Nov 03, 2020 12:31 pm

yes, you can. The main problem with swimming in a wig is that we must fix the wig as strong as possible to avoid falling off from our head when swimming. The better option for swimming is a synthetic lace wig instead of a human hair wig. If you are using a human hair wig then wear it into a ponytail.
Last edited by talkhealth on Wed Nov 04, 2020 10:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: URL removed per our terms & conditions

7 posts