Infrequent but heavy period & hypothyroidism

Moderators: talkhealth, Geckoella

2 posts
Annmarie

by Annmarie on Wed Oct 12, 2011 1:55 pm

Infrequent but heavy period & hypothyroidism

Hello

I'm new to your forum but am hoping you may be able to help me with my query.

I was diagnosed with hypothryroidism in Dec 2010 (age 47). My thyroid level is, after many blood tests, now at normal level and I'm taking the correct dosage of thyroxin for this.

About 2 years before this - age 45 - I started to get infrequent hot sweats and irregular periods. My doctor did say it could be early menopause and once the hypothyroidism was diagnosed my doctor said that this had an effect on the onset of the early menopause, although not conclusive.

Anyway, if I do have a period which is very very infrequent it only lasts for about 1 day, 2 at most and is very light. This has been the case since Dec 2010 - very irregular and I'm not worried about it as I see my doctor very routinely for the thyroid blood test checking.

However, last Sunday I started bleeding and it has got progressively worse and much heavier. I can't actually recall having such a bad one like this since before I had my children in my 20's. It is absolutely horrendous. I'm guesssing this is just something you have to deal with and there is nothing much I can do about it except hope the bleeding stops or at least lightens abit.

There are no clots in the blood, just bright red and like a tap. But I do have incredible pain in the lower region and in my lower back - normal period pain I would say with a heavy bad period.

I wonder how long I should wait if this heavy bleeding continues before seeing my doctor? I thought perhaps wait until 7 days as it may ease off by then or should I go before 7 days. Or is this infrequent period that is so heavy just a normal consequence of the menopause so just something I need to deal with.

I would appreciate any guidance or information on this.

Thanks so much

Annmarie

chelli35

by chelli35 on Fri Jan 27, 2012 5:23 pm

Re: Infrequent but heavy period & hypothyroidism

Hi Annmarie,
You are exactly describing me at the moment. My periods had been very heavy then nothing for 3 months then a very light one, I put it down to my underactive thyroid but went to see my GP whom sent a blood sample away to check my hormone levels. I am 43 and it has came back that I am in stages of menopause so im quite devastated, thoght it was my thyroid making my periods so heavy. My advise to you is to see your GP and ask for both thyroid levels and hormone levels checked.
Good luck and let me know how you get on

Michelle

2 posts