New here 47 year old

Moderators: talkhealth, Geckoella

4 posts
SharonM

by SharonM on Thu Nov 10, 2011 6:12 pm

New here 47 year old

Hi
Just joined today. I'm 47 years old, married with no children. Hormonal problems have been the bane of my life. At 28 I was d :) iagnosed with Polycystic Ovary Disease which gave me heavy, painful and irregular periods/infertility. Have had various minor operations (D&C, Laparoscopy, LUNA) and 15 years of taking the combined pill to try and alleviate the symptoms. Finally, about 6 years ago I was given a course of Zoladex (3 months) which was brilliant because it stopped my periods dead in their tracks. Great, no periods equal no pain/bleeding etc. Unfortunately one of the side effects of Zoladex is the onset of some early menopausal symptoms which did however die down after a year or so. Now (or for the past 2 years) I think I am on the menopause proper. Tiredness, mood swings, anxiety/feeling low and some night sweats. I am currently taking the mini-pill, for some low dose easy contraception (not sure how fertile I am, probably not very) and I take Evening Primrose capsules. Periods now are almost non-existent. So that's me.

What I am really interested in is other women who have never had children (like myself) and how the menopause is for them.

alison12

by alison12 on Wed Nov 23, 2011 4:50 pm

Re: New here 47 year old

Hi

How are you getting on? I do have children however i would be interested in comparing with women who haven't had children to see how the menopause symptoms may vary!

Alison
alison12
Forum Moderator
talkhealth moderation team

Delia

by Delia on Thu Nov 24, 2011 10:34 am

Hi - I'm also 47 years old and think I might be starting the menopause. My periods are getting more painful yet shorter. I usually bleed heavily and feel pain for a day, then by day 3 it's all over. I used to have a period for at least 5 days. I do occasionally get very hot for no apparent reason - could this be the start of the menopause?

Every woman knows she has to go through the menopause, and we all kind of know what to expect - but there are so many symptoms that it's hard to know when these will happen, in what order and for how long?

Any advice would help.

Delia

48 year old mum

by 48 year old mum on Mon Nov 26, 2012 11:24 am

from my mid forties I would bleed very heavily for 2 days (couldn't even take kids to school because blood would flood down my legs!). Stopped taking the pill aged 46 and periods stopped! Was told by gp that the blood loss whilst taking the pill wasn't really a period, so they may have stopped years before without my knowing and the pill just created a bleed each month?? I have 4 kids, have had 3 miscarriages. Now have hot flushes, feet and hands very hot at night. Not sure when the menopause really began for me and hope it finishes soon (not holding my breath of course . . .)

4 posts