Relationships and the Menopause

Moderators: talkhealth, Geckoella

11 posts
jopitcairn

by jopitcairn on Mon May 26, 2008 2:13 pm

Relationships and the Menopause

How is your relationship since the menopause?
How is your "significant other" coping with the changes that are happening to your body?
Do you find your emotions are more volatile? Do you take it out on your loved ones?
If your sexual energy is diminished, how is your loved one coping?

Lizlee

by Lizlee on Mon Sep 22, 2008 6:56 pm

Re: Relationships and the Menopause

This is why I'm here. I'm not sure if I am menopausal or just mad! I seem to suffer most of the symptoms naturally any way; excess weight round the middle, un able to lose weight, loss of sex drive etc. But I am experiencing feelings that I can't deal with. I am looking at any man under 50 as a possible mate, or father to my next child. I am just 40, married with 2 children & my husband has had the op, but in the last few weeks I have had these feelings which I really can't deal with. I particularly noticed it around the time my high school crush got in touch with me. Is this the sound of my biological clock screaming at me about last chances & all that, or am I really going mad? :?:

jopitcairn

by jopitcairn on Mon Sep 22, 2008 8:23 pm

You are certainly not going mad.
I'm sure I have got more flirtatious as I've got older, possibly because one of the side effects of the menopause for me
has been growing in inner confidence.
Have you tried talking to your husband, that always defuses things for me. Or spending the afternoon with my grandson, when he is sulking for England that would be enough to put off anyone from wanting more!

jopitcairn

by jopitcairn on Tue Jan 27, 2009 4:14 pm

It is almost 4 years since my last period,and I have continued to use condoms,as I know that homeopathic remedies can sometimes bring a period on.
In the last month I have stopped, and it is great, definitely one of the positives of being menopausal!

AprilA

by AprilA on Mon Feb 14, 2011 12:47 pm

Hi, I am struggling with my mood swings at the moment, I flew off the handle twice over the weekend. I felt terrible afterwards. My husband is very understanding though because I have been talking to him about how I am feeling and the changes that are happening to me. Sexually we are not overly active but I am hoping that I become more so.

kazzy1

by kazzy1 on Wed Feb 16, 2011 10:40 am

I find that I fly off the handle and loose my temper so quickly especially with the children. I'm sure this is due to the changes in my hormones. It's easier to talk to your partner about his however I find that it's not such as easy thing for your children to understand :(

talking

by talking on Thu Feb 17, 2011 5:01 pm

I can totally relate to the mood swings and the impact it has on one's relationships . I find that being totally open and honest with my husband as to how I'm feeling helps him to understand why I may be snappy or not so affectionate. Openness and honesty will get you a long way :D

AprilA

by AprilA on Fri Feb 18, 2011 5:55 pm

Yes, it is good advice. I am going to try not to fly off the handle this weekend!

alison12

by alison12 on Tue Aug 30, 2011 12:05 pm

I have always had a problem with my emotions when i had my period but now it just seems worse than ever. I used to get angry and upset for a few days when my period was due and just starting each month but now the slightest thing makes me want to cry and although my family are understanding towards it i feel that it must be getting them down too. I can't wait until this feeling is over. I have spoken to my doctor but not much advice was given. Can anyone here help?
alison12
Forum Moderator
talkhealth moderation team

longterm_sufferer

by longterm_sufferer on Tue Jan 10, 2012 6:08 pm

I can really identify with some of the comments regarding relationships. I feel full to brimming with mood swings at times. Also, my relationship with my husband is affected as I get terrible night sweats/hot flushes AND to make it worse I have psoriasis too. At times when my husband wants to be amourous it's the last thing on my mind! I've tried talking to him - whilst he tries to be sympathetic I don't think he really udnerstands - how can he as he's a man!! :)

11 posts