HRT or Complementary Treatment?

Moderators: talkhealth, Geckoella

12 posts
jopitcairn

by jopitcairn on Mon May 26, 2008 2:58 pm

HRT or Complementary Treatment?

Are you taking HRT, if you are, how is it suiting you?
Have you tried any complementary treatments? Let us know what you have tried and what works for you.

talking

by talking on Tue Feb 15, 2011 1:12 pm

Re: HRT or Complementary Treatment?

I've been offered HRT by my doctor but my symptoms aren't too bad yet and I seem to be able to manage them without currently. My main worry with not taking HRT though is that I may make myself more prone to osteoporosis later on. Does anyone have any thoughts on this?

AprilA

by AprilA on Thu Feb 24, 2011 6:35 pm

I take vitamin D for my bones because I too am worried about that. I am currently researching other products: I shall let you know how I get on.

Cara Voller

by Cara Voller on Tue Aug 02, 2011 2:27 pm

Hi AprilA - how did you get on with researching other products?

Delia

by Delia on Thu Nov 24, 2011 10:35 am

As I think I'm at the start of the menopause, I'd be really keen to know if anyone is on HRT and what they think? And, when do you have to start HRT - is it before the menopause, at the start of the menopause (if indeed you know when the start actually is) or an you start taking HRT at any time?

Delia

Dancing Queen

by Dancing Queen on Thu Jan 12, 2012 12:26 pm

As I'm experiencing early menopause, along with many of the usual suspect symptoms (night sweats, irritable, hot flushes etc. etc.) my doctor has advised me to go onto HRT. Mainly he says because of the risk to my bones if I don't. I keep putting off making the decision thinking I can just keep on as I am. Am I being stupid? Am I in denial? Should I be taking it? Any thoughts from anyone?

SharonM

by SharonM on Wed Jan 18, 2012 8:02 pm

Oddly enough my doctor suggested that I DID NOT go onto HRT unless I absolutely had to/wanted to and was quite happy for me to try complementary treatments. As a result I have been taking Evening Primrose for many months now. This has helped to alleviate the very painful/tender pains in my breasts that I had been suffering from. Another complementary treatment that I have been researching and trying is 5-HTP (hydroxytryptophan). This is a natural amino acid that can help if your serotonin levels are low therefore helping with symptoms like anxiety, depression, sleep problems, food cravings. Perfect menopausal stuff. I take one 50mg tablet a day 30 minutes before bedtime. They certainly relax you and help you to get a better night's sleep therefore helping you to cope with the day ahead. I'll see how the other benefits pan out as time goes on. You can get the capsules from Holland and Barratt and the UK website with all the info is www.5-htp.org.uk Like all medicines they may not suit everybody and there are always side effects. Please read all info carefully (especially interraction with other medicines). I'm being a bit of a guinea pig and giving them a try for several months because it seems you can come off them fairly quickly without the side effects you get from medicines like antidepressants.

Has anyone else tried/come across 5-HTP?

Dancing Queen

by Dancing Queen on Thu Jan 19, 2012 2:24 pm

SharonM this is very interesting. I've never heard of 5-HTP and will be interested in your feedback as you go through your 'guinea pig' trial. I may also speak with my GP about the complementary therapy route rather than HRT.

Goddesslily

by Goddesslily on Mon Aug 27, 2012 5:41 pm

Hi everyone,
I'm new here but I wanted to share what i've been taking. I started taking Estrogel, which is a clear topical gel that you apply twice daily (morning and night) to your inner arms. It's in a pump and the way to apply it is by using your inner arms to rub it into the skin, not getting it on your hands. I've been using this now for two years and it has completely stopped all my symptoms. I'm 53yrs old and everytime I think i'm not going to have anymore periods, low and behold I have break through bleeding about every six months for about a day or sometimes longer. The only symptoms i've experienced with the Estrogel is weight gain, I was 140lbs and a perfect size 4 two years ago when I first started using the Estrogel, now today I weigh 150 and i'm a size 6. I keep trying to squeeze into my size 4 jeans but they just don't fit any longer and I refuse to buy larger sizes, so now I mostly wear exercise clothing. I do cardio and weight training 5 days a week but I haven't lost any weight, i'm more muscular but I also look thick in the hip and thigh area and i'm just not happy at all because of the weight and not being able to loose it. I've been trying to drop the extra pounds for the last year and my scale only fluxuates between 147lbs and 150lbs, so now i'm considering stopping the Estrogel altogether and trying something different.

My sister grinds up Aloe Vera leafs (the full leaf) meaning the outside and the inside of the entire leaf. Then she stuffs the content into plastic capusles and takes about two capsules every three to four hours. She swears this has stopped her hot flashes and night sweats so i'm thinking of trying this for myself, I just need to get myself a grinder.

relieftoday

by relieftoday on Mon Nov 19, 2012 2:52 pm

Traditional chinese medicine is one remedy for menopause strongly suggested by some people so try it. Or consider the natural HRT like the progesterone cream that can help in headaches related to menopause and fixing the levels of progesterone in your body. Though these remedies might take time to completely treat women, these are still healthy and balanced and very natural.

12 posts