menopause

Moderators: talkhealth, Geckoella

2 posts
karen melvin

by karen melvin on Wed Mar 25, 2015 11:10 pm

menopause

can you still have periods and have menopause symtoms?

Justine Greenwood

by Justine Greenwood on Mon Mar 30, 2015 4:28 pm

Re: menopause

Hello Karen,

Thank you for your question, I hope I am able to help you.

Usually, menopause is classed as the time you have your last period. In reality your periods don't just stop. They tend to become less frequent and unpredictable over time, before gradually stopping altogether. Medically, we class a patient to have been through the menopause when they have not experienced a bleed for a year. Therefore, yes, it is possible to experience menopausal symptoms whilst still having periods.

Many women will experience different symptoms as they progress through the menopause, due to the reducing amount of oestrogen in the body. These include hot flushes, night sweats, vaginal dryness and mood changes. These symptoms can last for a couple of months to anything up to 3 years and beyond. Everyone is different.

I would also like to take this opportunity to make you aware that although the chance of pregnancy is low, you still need to use contraception until your periods do stop for a year.

If you are concerned about your symptoms at all, please do visit your local Pharmacist or GP who will be happy to help and explain further.

Best wishes,

Justine
Justine Greenwood
Learning and Development Pharmacist, Rowlands Pharmacy
http://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/on ... enwood.php

2 posts