Hair Loss and Pregnancy

Post your questions about hair loss and alopecia here.

Moderator: talkhealth

2 posts
Guest Posts

by Guest Posts on Thu Aug 16, 2018 11:57 am

Hair Loss and Pregnancy

I’ve been losing my hair since pregnancy and my child is 3 and I still have patches on both sides of my head...they don’t seem to be getting filled the hair grows a bit but rather thin and not long either. Will I ever get it back or is there a remedy that’ll help regrowth?

Also I’ve never been one to have outgrown my baby hairs in front and they never seem to fill out or grow long either- should I reside to the fact that these frontal hairs will remain short and babylike?
- Posted on behalf of Amaka
talkhealth team on behalf of a guest visitor

Dr Kapil Bhargava

by Dr Kapil Bhargava on Thu Aug 16, 2018 2:20 pm

Re: Hair Loss and Pregnancy

Dear Amaka,

Hair loss is common following childbirth but often resolves within 6 months.

The hair loss associated with childbirth is known as a telogen effluvium. When it lasts more than six months it is usually because there is another cause contributing. Sub-optimal levels of the vitamins and minerals that are important for hair growth are the most common reason for prolonged loss. Correcting these can often improve matters. You may get these checked via your GP.

Occasionally, the telogen effluvium un-masks another cause for hair loss such as female pattern hair loss, which will then need to be addressed. Getting an accurate diagnosis would be important before embarking on treatment.

'Baby hair' at the hairline are common and normal if they have always been there. They are likely to remain that way.
Dr Kapil Bhargava MBBS, FRCP(UK), FRCP(Derm), CCT Derm
Consultant Dermatologist & Dermatologic and Mohs Surgeon
London, UK

http://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/on ... argava.php

2 posts