Acne Scars

Post your acne related questions for our experts here.

Moderator: talkhealth

6 posts
domhurley

by domhurley on Thu Sep 06, 2018 10:31 pm

Acne Scars

Hi, I recently had bad acne, through different things I got it cleared up but my face is left with a lot of scars / dimples / uneven skin from where the acne was.
Is there anything I can do about this ?
Thanks
Dom

Mr Ioannis Goutos

by Mr Ioannis Goutos on Fri Sep 07, 2018 5:19 pm

Re: Acne Scars

Dear Dom,
Scaring from acne is very common and a number of different tools are available in the scar management field. As a scar surgeon, I ensure patients have been seen by a dermatologist and any active acne has been fully treated in an expert manner. Options for scar management include: removal of certain scars and closure of the skin, lasers, needling techniques, subcision (releasing 'scar roots') with a fine needle, steroids (either injectable or tape) for bulky scars.
Best regards,
Ioannis Goutos
Plastic Surgeon
Mr Ioannis Goutos
FRCSEd(Plast), MSc Burn Care

http://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/on ... goutos.php

Vanessa Jane Davies

by Vanessa Jane Davies on Sat Sep 08, 2018 4:44 pm

Hello Dom,
Skin camouflage can work in tandem with the suggestions you've been given or at the end of your scar management programme. The appearance of the scarring and resulting erythema can be alleviated however please be aware it is only the colour that is disguised: the texture of your skin will remain unchanged.

The cover creams can be used on the face and body as long as the area is fully healed with no open lesions. I see more men than women in our clinics for many skin conditions and types of scarring so i hope this offers some reassurance that these products do not look or feel like make up.

Please note the application of the camouflage should be on the areas of colour difference and not applied to the entire face as you would a make up product. Always remove the cover creams at the end of each day.

If you would like some practical information on the brands, colours and application please let me know at Skin Camouflage Services or contact Changing Faces, The British Association of Skin Camouflage.
All the best
Vanessa Jane Davies MEWI LCGI
Skin Camouflage Consultant
http://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/on ... davies.php

domhurley

by domhurley on Tue Sep 11, 2018 7:54 pm

Thanks for these but not really sure where I go now !!!!!!!!!!

professor andrew r thompson

by professor andrew r thompson on Wed Sep 26, 2018 1:42 pm

Hi Dom,

You might be able to find out about your local camouflage service by contacting your GP or dermatologist. If this issue is causing you distress then you can also speak to your GP about getting support to help with this. This is a common issue that we see with people following treatment for acne and people often benefit from receipt of some focussed support to improve confidence. There is also some support available on www.skinsupport.org.uk and also an acne specific site on www.acnesupport.org.uk.

Best wishes,

Andrew
Clinical Psychologist
Dr Andrew Thompson
Registered Clinical and Registered Health Psychologist - DClinPsy., C.Psychol., AFBPsS., DipCAT., FHEA., BA(Hons)

http://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/on ... ompson.php

Dr Mark Brewin

by Dr Mark Brewin on Wed Sep 26, 2018 2:26 pm

Which treatment you go for depends on what type of acne scarring you have. There are three defined types; boxcar, rolling and icepick. The first two are reasonably treatable by fractionated laser or microneedling. The third requires more complex treatment (to include subcision as Ioannis mentions above). You would need to find a qualified clinician (preferably a plastic surgeon) and you can probably find one through a reputable aesthetic clinic.
Good luck
Dr Mark Brewin
Clinical Scientist - BSc (Hons), MSc, MIPEM, PhD
http://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/on ... brewin.php

6 posts