Scars on the trunk of my son

Post your burns and scars related questions for our experts here.

Moderator: talkhealth

4 posts
Guest Posts

by Guest Posts on Thu Sep 13, 2018 1:36 pm

Scars on the trunk of my son

My son has scars over the trunk of his body with a few on his limbs. I used a pen to highlight them so I could see if he was getting anymore. He had severe chicken pox and was admitted to hospital for this. 4-8 months later scars appeared on his body. Can you get delayed presentation of scars like this. He has seen dermatologists and has previous severe eczema. Scars remain almost two years later. My main concern is that these are chicken pox scars as I am confused that the scars appeared to heal and disappear and emerge after four months.

With thanks.
Attachments
skin clinic.jpg
skin clinic.jpg (13.39 KiB) Viewed 3818 times
talkhealth team on behalf of a guest visitor

Dr Mark Brewin

by Dr Mark Brewin on Mon Sep 17, 2018 12:39 pm

Re: Scars on the trunk of my son

Hi there
It is hard to see from the photo but I make the assumption that, by scars, you mean areas of depigmentation. In other words, patches of white. Are they raised in any way?
If they are just white patches, I am afraid that this means that he has lost the skin pigment (or melanin) in these areas. This may be irreversible or permanent. There is research going on to address this type of issue, for example for things like vitiligo, where pigment is transplanted back into areas that has lost pigment.
I am sorry that I cant be of more help here
Dr Mark Brewin
Clinical Scientist - BSc (Hons), MSc, MIPEM, PhD
http://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/on ... brewin.php

Guest Posts

by Guest Posts on Tue Sep 18, 2018 9:33 am

The scars are mostly flat and not raised a few are slightly pitted. Will they grow smaller as he gets bigger or will the scars grow in proportion to him?
can scars emerge several months after trauma to the skin? With thanks
talkhealth team on behalf of a guest visitor

Vanessa Jane Davies

by Vanessa Jane Davies on Wed Sep 19, 2018 5:49 pm

Hello,

Following on from Dr Brewin, skin camouflage can help with the appearance of the scars. I'm not sure how old your son is but this could be an option as he gets older.

The areas of depigmentation can be concealed with a' site specific' brush application - there would be no need to be extend the cover creams on to the natural skin. Following a skin camouflage appointment to colour match and teach you how to mix and apply the colours, i would suggest from the photograph a quick and effective application at home would take about 5-10 minutes. He would need someone to apply the cover creams to his back but he should be fine on his limbs.

All the best to you both.
Vanessa Jane Davies MEWI LCGI
Skin Camouflage Consultant
http://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/on ... davies.php

4 posts