Best Cream To Use

Post your eczema and dry skin related questions for our experts here.

Moderator: talkhealth

2 posts
Catts

by Catts on Wed Sep 05, 2018 10:15 am

Best Cream To Use

Hi. I suffer from incredibly dry skin, particularly in the winter, on my hands. My Dr has periodically told me that it is Eczema and advised I use Cetraben Emollient. The issue I have is that I have OCD and wash my hands very regularly which doesn't give the emollient time to work effectively. Is there a cream on the market (other than a barrier cream which I hate the texture of) that sinks into your skin but has waterproof properties also please?

Wendy Green

by Wendy Green on Wed Sep 05, 2018 3:56 pm

Re: Best Cream To Use

Hi Catts,

Normal soap and hand wash contain detergents that weaken the skin’s protective barrier causing irritation and inflammation, as well as perfumes and other chemicals that can further irritate your skin. Every time you wash your hands you're not only removing any emollient you've previously applied, you're also further damaging, irritating and drying out your skin.

I think the best solution would be for you to wash your hands with an emollient soap substitute instead of normal soap or hand wash. Emollient soap substitutes soothe and moisturise the skin, and help to restore the skin's protective barrier. Although they don't lather up, they are just as good at cleaning the skin as soap. Examples of emollient soap substitutes you could try include Aquamax Wash, E45 Emollient Wash Cream and Doublebase Emollient Wash Gel. I hope this helps.
Wendy Green
Health Expert and Author

http://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/on ... _green.php

2 posts