I suffer eczema and dry flaky skin on my eyelids

Post your eczema and dry skin related questions for our experts here.

Moderator: talkhealth

3 posts
antlaura123

by antlaura123 on Thu Sep 06, 2018 2:07 pm

I suffer eczema and dry flaky skin on my eyelids

Hi I suffer From eczema and very dry flaky skin on my eye lids and beneath my eyebrows.
It can be very itchy and I always want to scratch them. But of course this just makes them sore.
I used to suffer eczema elsewhere as a child but have been lucky to grow ou of that. Obviously I was recommended not to use hydrocortisone because it’s to close to my eye.

Can you recommend anything else.

Thank you

Antony

Di Graham

by Di Graham on Thu Sep 06, 2018 2:52 pm

Re: I suffer eczema and dry flaky skin on my eyelids

Hello Antony,
I too occasionally have this problem which has been with me since birth (I'm in my 70's!!)
I use a soapless/unperfumed facial wash (Green People (organic) do a good one) and warm water to wash and soften the skin. My GP has given me hydrocortisone 0.05% cream which I apply to the affected area's using a tiny amount on the tip of a cotton bud.
You can further loosen scales with a good cream (Green People do a selection). Again use a cotton bud and a magnifying mirror. Persistence pays off and you may have to do this throughout the day for some time until it's gone. If it looks as if it's returning nip it in the bud by repeating the process.
One tiny tube of hydrocortisone lasts me about a year or more.
Hope this helps
Di

Wendy Green

by Wendy Green on Thu Sep 06, 2018 8:25 pm

Re: I suffer eczema and dry flaky skin on my eyelids

Hi Antony,

When I wrote the book '50 Things You can Do Today to Manage Eczema' I sought the opinion of Helen Pugsley, a senior dermatology lecturer at Cardiff University, as to whether it is safe to use hydrocortisone cream on the face. She told me up to one per cent hydrocortisone cream is safe to use on the face.

On a personal note, like Di Graham, I've used hydrocortisone cream very sparingly on my eyelids to settle down eczema flare-ups several times in the past and didn't have any problems.

I've also found that taking a supplement containing omega 3, 6 & 9 oils (such as Boots Omega Oils 3 6 & 9 Capsules) seems to help prevent flare-ups.

I hope this helps.
Wendy Green
Health Expert and Author

http://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/on ... _green.php

3 posts