problem returns as soon as stop treatment

Post your eczema and dry skin related questions for our experts here.

Moderator: talkhealth

2 posts
louiserachel

by louiserachel on Thu Sep 20, 2018 7:24 pm

problem returns as soon as stop treatment

I have developed itchy and sore patches of eczema around the base of one finger. If I keep using steroid cream (OTC) it gradually goes but as soon as I stop, the eczema returns. is there something different I shoud be doing? I have not had eczema before - this is my first experience at the ripe age of 56.
Louise

Dr Adil Sheraz

by Dr Adil Sheraz on Wed Sep 26, 2018 2:48 pm

Re: problem returns as soon as stop treatment

Dear Louise

Thank you for your question.

A localized rash on the finger makes one think of either contact allergies or possibly a fungal infection.

Contact dermatitis is caused by a chemical, product etc that may be coming into regular contact with that area, this can often be something which you may have been using or doing for years and in the past has not been a problem. Common allergens for such a localized rash would include food products, pens, other objects you may be holding or rings/wedding bands etc.

The second possibility would be a fungal infection. Topical steroids will often temporarily help reduce the inflammation however this will recur once the steroid has been stopped.

I would suggest that you consider having a skin scraping from your GP to rule out a fungal cause. A referral to a dermatologist may be appropriate for a patch test (skin allergy test) or even a skin biopsy which may help with a diagnosis.

I hope that helps.
Dr Adil Sheraz
Consultant Dermatologist - MBBS, BMEDSCI(HONS), MRCP (UK), MRCP (DERMATOLOGY) (UK)

http://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/on ... sheraz.php

2 posts