Psoriasis

Post your psoriasis and psoriatic arthritis-related questions for our experts here.

Moderator: talkhealth

3 posts
Vickster78

by Vickster78 on Thu Sep 06, 2018 3:21 pm

Psoriasis

Hi there, psoriasis suffering during the night. I have psoriasis on my elbows that is very painful during the night and it disturbs my sleep and is either sore or itchy. I am using dermovate and childs farm cream at present. Any other suffers here?

Dr Adil Sheraz

by Dr Adil Sheraz on Tue Sep 11, 2018 3:07 pm

Re: Psoriasis

I am sorrry to hear that your psoriasis is causing such distress, the condition can of course be extremely itchy, sore and can often bleed.

Dermovate is a potent steroid, and as such is not recommended for psoriasis. Potent steroids have the potential to make psoriasis worse when stopped. I would suggest something less potent and combined with topical Vitamin D- such as betamethasone with calcipitriol.

Treatments without steroids include Exorex or Dovonex and can work well without the side effects of topical steroid.

Greasy Moistursiers such as hydromol or Epaderm will also help with reducing the thickness of the plaques.

If however you are finding the psoriasis has a signficant impact on your life then please ask to see a dermatologist.
Dr Adil Sheraz
Consultant Dermatologist - MBBS, BMEDSCI(HONS), MRCP (UK), MRCP (DERMATOLOGY) (UK)

http://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/on ... sheraz.php

rossathome

by rossathome on Thu Sep 20, 2018 4:12 pm

Re: Psoriasis

Is there a way to send photos of the skin issue as it seems there are so many diffing type of eczema and crossovers to Psoriasis plus all the variants. So far my GP NHS doctor in the UK has not helped with any medication to cure these scaly, slightly raised red lumps on my side of my calf muscle they become itchy if scratched and trigger more scaly itchy skin. seem booby trapped in some strange way.

My son has the same but in different locations but the common thing is none are located on joints but all are located in NONE joint smooth skin areas

What is odd is that at 1st outbreak it was almost identical on both legs. Now just the left leg but it has got worse . What I also note is that while the doctor says its not catching , my son age 15 has ( I am age 53) it and he does not even live with me . He only visits me once every 2 weeks so it would seem one of use got it from the other and its identical. Also this eliminates possible soaps we both use causing the problem and also sort of eliminates any age related health issues as he is super young and me getting on a bit. So its clearly something that is transferable even though the GP Dr says its dermatological eczema. Well clearly this is very unlikely. Me and my son live totally separate lives but he visits me so that the connection. Who gave it to whom is unknown.

I would like to pick the correct medication for this rather than randomly guessing

Ross

3 posts