Oxytetracycline

Post your rosacea-related questions for our experts here.

Moderator: talkhealth

3 posts
dewdrop007

by dewdrop007 on Wed Sep 05, 2018 9:35 pm

Oxytetracycline

Hi I’ve been prescribed oxytetracycline for my rosacea. It has quite a difference to the redness/spots on my face but I am a bit concerned as to whether there are any side effects of using it for a prolonged period?

Wendy Green

by Wendy Green on Tue Sep 11, 2018 8:55 pm

Re: Oxytetracycline

Hi,

The most common side-effects from taking oxytetracycline are loss of appetite, stomach ache, diarrhoea, and feeling or being sick. If you experience any of these, you should find they settle down within a few weeks. This antibiotic is not normally prescribed for longer than 3 months, so you shouldn't need to worry about long-term side-effects.

If you still have concerns, there are also topical treatments for rosacea such as metronidazole cream or gel, azelaic acid cream or gel and ivermectin cream that may, over time, ease your rosacea. If you haven't already tried these, you could ask your GP about them.

Certain things can trigger rosacea flare-ups such as stress, alcohol, spicy foods, exposure to sunlight or cold weather and using harsh skin care products. It may help if you keep a diary to try and identify your triggers - you can then try to avoid, or at least reduce, your exposure to them as much as possible.

For example, use skin products aimed at sensitive skin, apply sun cream when out in the sun and limit alcohol and spicy foods. You may find these steps help ease your symptoms, reducing your need for antibiotics.

I hope this helps.
Wendy Green
Health Expert and Author

http://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/on ... _green.php

Vanessa Jane Davies

by Vanessa Jane Davies on Wed Sep 12, 2018 5:56 pm

Re: Oxytetracycline

Hello

Following on from your prescribed treatments, if you have any concerns with facial redness then it may be worthwhile considering skin camouflage. You would need to wait until your skin is comfortable and settled with no irritation or inflammation. A skin match could then be achieved (possibly with a block out colour) and you would enjoy the benefits of the products and peace of mind that they will block any colour changes you may experience with blushing and flushing.

Appointments are available with Changing Faces, British Association of Skin Camouflage, Skin Camouflage Services and individual Practitioners.

All the best
Vanessa Jane Davies MEWI LCGI
Skin Camouflage Consultant
http://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/on ... davies.php

3 posts