Red blisters on fingertips

Do you have a question related to a skin condition that doesn't fit in any of the other boards? Perhaps you're living with ichthyosis, hyperhidrosis or something else we've not covered? Your questions and discussions can be posted here.

Moderator: talkhealth

2 posts
Lassie47

by Lassie47 on Mon Sep 03, 2018 3:05 pm

Red blisters on fingertips

_20180903_153927.JPG
_20180903_153927.JPG (229.29 KiB) Viewed 4249 times
Hi,

I've been experiencing a strange skin condition that only seems to affect my fingertips. Red, dry flat blisters appear which then crack open and my skin sheds which can be quite sore.

They then eventually heal and the cycle starts again maybe a few weeks later. I've had this for around 6 months now. I've tried E-45, sudocream, etc but nothing seems to work.

I always wear gloves when using cleaning products and I always use the same skincare products and washing powders etc so there is nothing new I have introduced to my skin. I'm a bit perplexed as to what can be causing this and would like to erradicate it if I can. I have uploaded a photo.

I appreciate any advice.

Dr Adil Sheraz

by Dr Adil Sheraz on Wed Sep 26, 2018 4:43 pm

Re: Red blisters on fingertips

Thank you for your question.

You don't mention if this occurs on both or one of the hands, and if its itchy or not.

However a common cause of dermatitis of the hands or fingers is allergy or irritation.

The allergy often arises from products that you may well have been using for years and have not been a problem in the past but unfortunately you now are reacting to them. Your line of work (if you work) or hobbies may be important as you may be exposed to chemical, metals, glues etc that could be making it worse. Gloves themselves can also often be a problem and allergy to rubber from the gloves is not unusual.

It seems that you ideally need a patch test under a dermatologist to find a possible allergy.

In the mean time you can try the following measure:

1. Wash with Dermol 500 lotion - avoid other soaps.
2. Do not excessively wash your hands
3. Apply a regular emollient - ideally a greasy one. 2-3 times a day.
4. You can try Haelan tape (steroid based tape) - from you GP.

I hope that helps.

Regards

Adil Sheraz
Instagram: Dr_adilsheraz
Dr Adil Sheraz
Consultant Dermatologist - MBBS, BMEDSCI(HONS), MRCP (UK), MRCP (DERMATOLOGY) (UK)

http://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/on ... sheraz.php

2 posts