Acnitic Keritosis

Do you have a question related to a skin condition that doesn't fit in any of the other boards? Perhaps you're living with ichthyosis, hyperhidrosis or something else we've not covered? Your questions and discussions can be posted here.

Moderator: talkhealth

3 posts
stuart31

by stuart31 on Wed Sep 05, 2018 12:59 pm

Acnitic Keritosis

I recently visited my GP, with a small dry spot on my nose that had been there for some months. Not really visible but could be felt with the fingertip. She told me I had Acnitic Keritosis (although she didn't use that phrase), but that it was very small (grain of sand), and colourless so it would be fine although it did have the potential to turn into cancer!

I suffer from awful health anxiety, and have had CBT for this in the past, but given that this could turn to cancer is it wise to do as my GP suggested and just watch and wait, or should I seek treatment asap!

Thanks for any advice offered,
Stuart.

Dr Anton Alexandroff

by Dr Anton Alexandroff on Sat Sep 08, 2018 12:52 am

Re: Acnitic Keritosis

Dear Stuart,

I am so sorry to hear about your skin problem. Actinic or solar keratoses are common and are caused by excessive sun exposure. If there are only few of them and they are small and mild, like in you case, you can either monitor them or treat them - this is really your choice. The risk of them becoming a skin cancer is very small. If one has significant actinic keratoses the risk increases. In any case you should be sensible and use sun protection in future.

Treatment options:
1) Solaraze gel - very mild, not very effective. Duration of treatment - 3 months.

All other below treatments are approximately equal in efficacy.
2) actikerall - designed for very thick/hard actini keratoses. Duration of treatment - 3 months.
3) Freezing (liquid nitrogen cryotherapy. Instant. May need to be repeated.
4) Efudix cream - daily fro 1 month.
5) aldara cream - 3 times weekly for 1 month.
6) picato gel - daily for 3 days o scalp/face; for 2 days on body.
7) photodynamic therapy (lamp or day light) - one off procedure, very large areas can be treated simultaneously. Minimal symptoms.

You can read more about actinic keratoses and available treatments on my website www.alexandroff.org.uk

I hope this is helpful.
With Best Wishes,

Dr Anton Alexandroff FRCP(UK) PhD CCT(Derm) FRSM FAAD
Consultant Dermatologist and Honorary Senior Lecturer
The British Skin Foundation Spokesperson
London, Cambridge, Leicester and Bedford

http://www.alexandroff.org.uk
Instagram your_skin_dr
Twitter your_skin_dr
Dr Anton Alexandroff
Consultant Dermatologist, Honorary Senior Lecturer & BSF spokesperson - FRCP, CCT (Derm), PhD, FRSM, FAAD

http://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/on ... ndroff.php

stuart31

by stuart31 on Mon Sep 10, 2018 8:03 am

Re: Acnitic Keritosis

Thank you for advice doctor, I really appreciate it. I think for now I will follow what my GP suggests, and monitor (private treatment I think may be very expensive!).
Thanks again,
Stuart.

3 posts