Nodular prurigo

Do you have a question related to a skin condition that doesn't fit in any of the other boards? Perhaps you're living with ichthyosis, hyperhidrosis or something else we've not covered? Your questions and discussions can be posted here.

Moderator: talkhealth

3 posts
joollee

by joollee on Wed Sep 05, 2018 2:32 pm

Nodular prurigo

I have nodular prurigo and I’m taking 20mg methotrexate. It’s working a bit but not entirely and I’m still itching. Can you suggest an emollient or something to help with the itching and something to wash with and put in the bath. I used to be prescribed oilatum but this is no longer prescribed. Thank you.

Dr Sharon Wong

by Dr Sharon Wong on Thu Oct 04, 2018 11:13 am

Re: Nodular prurigo

Hello. Balneum itch relief cream and balneum plus bath oil can be helpful for itchy dry skin. Other urea containing moisturisers such as Eucerin and Calmurid can also help. I would also suggest taking an antihistamine regularly.
Dr Sharon Wong
Consultant Dermatologist and British Skin Foundation spokesperson
http://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/on ... n_wong.php

Dr Giles Dunnill

by Dr Giles Dunnill on Thu Oct 04, 2018 11:21 am

Re: Nodular prurigo

This is a difficult condition to treat. You are on strong treatment in the form of methotrexate which has the potential to gradually settle the condition and you will be under a dermatology service for this to monitor the drug. I would encourage you to stick with it as there is a good chance of improvement in time. Topical agents which can be helpful are Eurax cream, 1% menthol in aqueous cream or eucerin cream. All of these can be bought over the counter or can be prescribed by your GP if you find they help
Dr Giles Dunnill
Consultant Dermatologist

http://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/on ... unnill.php

3 posts