Pigmentatio

Do you have a question related to a skin condition that doesn't fit in any of the other boards? Perhaps you're living with ichthyosis, hyperhidrosis or something else we've not covered? Your questions and discussions can be posted here.

Moderator: talkhealth

2 posts
Guest Posts

by Guest Posts on Thu Sep 06, 2018 10:16 am

Pigmentatio

I would like to find out if what products you recommend for pigmentatio.
I have had freckles for about 30 years, since the menopause they have turned into patches, i am 55 and am half white and half caribbean.
I am gluten sensitive and have dairy and nut and deadly nightshade allergies.
Thanks, Linda
talkhealth team on behalf of a guest visitor

Dr Adil Sheraz

by Dr Adil Sheraz on Wed Sep 26, 2018 4:25 pm

Re: Pigmentatio

Dear Linda

Thank you for your question.

You may have melasma of the skin which is condition that results in pigmentation often around the upper cheek, occasionally the forehead and around the mouth. I would suggest the following plan:

1. Avoid the sun - all year around and use a high factor sun block- even in winter.
2. Avoid any harsh cleansing agents for the skin.
3. Stop the OCP (if you can or if you are on it)
4. Have a look at other medications that you may be on that could potentially cause pigmentation (discuss with GP or dermatologist).
5. Check Thyroid function (sometimes linked to abnormal pigmentation) - again discuss with GP to see if this test is necessary in your case.
6. The best treatment would be a topical treatment with Hydroquinone (pigmanorm cream) which works in most cases, or topical retinols- these needs to be prescribed under the supervision of a dermatologist.

Of course without seeing the face it is difficult for a definitive diagnosis, therefore being reviewed by a dermatologist will be helpful who can give you a tailored regime for your skin type.

Regards

Adil Sheraz
Instagram dr_adilsheraz
Dr Adil Sheraz
Consultant Dermatologist - MBBS, BMEDSCI(HONS), MRCP (UK), MRCP (DERMATOLOGY) (UK)

http://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/on ... sheraz.php

2 posts