Hair loss

Do you have a question related to a skin condition that doesn't fit in any of the other boards? Perhaps you're living with ichthyosis, hyperhidrosis or something else we've not covered? Your questions and discussions can be posted here.

Moderator: talkhealth

2 posts
Guest Posts

by Guest Posts on Thu Sep 06, 2018 1:58 pm

Hair loss

Please, any chance we can talk about women's hair loss - reasons why it happens and how to resolve this problem i.e most successful products that will help, treatment....
Please, I need help. It's becoming a very embarrassing and my Confidence is non-existent.
Sorry I haven't got a skin question,
I'm just so desperate for some help with this. I'm tired of half answers with no results !!....
Thanks for reading this, I hope you can help me.
Amelia
talkhealth team on behalf of a guest visitor

Dr Sharon Wong

by Dr Sharon Wong on Mon Sep 24, 2018 4:37 pm

Re: Hair loss

Hi Amelia

Thank you for your query.

There are many causes that can contribute to hair loss in females and in many cases more than one cause can co-exist in the same person. Common causes include genetics (female pattern hair loss), stress, hormone imbalances, medications and nutritional deficiencies.

It is important for you to see your doctor initially to rule out some of these common causes eg blood tests can easily check for your thyroid hormones and nutritional status. If these all come back normal it would then be advisable to see a dermatologist with an interest in hair or a reputable trichologist to help diagnose the cause(s) of your hair loss and start appropriate treatments. There are also many cosmetic treatments such as keratin fibres and thickening products which can help disguise areas of thinning whilst you are undergoing investigation and treatment, but I cannot stress enough that it is so important to get a diagnosis first before embarking on treatment.

You may also wish to consider attending the Get Ahead of Hair Loss event on 30th Sept in London (details via website www.getaheadofhairloss.com ) which you may find useful.

Best of luck and I hope you find a solution soon.

Sharon
Dr Sharon Wong
Consultant Dermatologist and British Skin Foundation spokesperson
http://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/on ... n_wong.php

2 posts