AP and PLE

Do you have a question related to a skin condition that doesn't fit in any of the other boards? Perhaps you're living with ichthyosis, hyperhidrosis or something else we've not covered? Your questions and discussions can be posted here.

Moderator: talkhealth

2 posts
juliecragg

by juliecragg on Thu Sep 06, 2018 8:51 pm

AP and PLE

Hi, any ideas of any suncream factor 50 that doesn’t have water as the main ingredient? Or anything which may help her AP to become a little more toleratable. She was diagnosed at stThomass hospital has had controlled light therapy but told that there is nothing more that they can do to try to help her. She’s tried antihistamines at one point being on 14+a day. I feel so alone so heaven knows how my daughter is feeling. She’s now 19. Help

Dr Sharon Wong

by Dr Sharon Wong on Thu Oct 04, 2018 11:12 am

Re: AP and PLE

Hello and thank you for your query. As far as I am aware virtually all sunscreens will contain water as the main ingredient. I think the mainstay of treatment is avoidance of direct sun exposure but also ensuring all physical photoprotective measures are taken eg hats, sunglasses, long sleeves and UV protective clothing etc. If planning a holiday it is possible to take a short course of oral steroid prescribed by your dermatologist/GP which will help with the PLE. This however should not be repeated frequently and the individual courses are short in duration. I hope this helps.
Dr Sharon Wong
Consultant Dermatologist and British Skin Foundation spokesperson
http://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/on ... n_wong.php

2 posts