undiagnosed but long term issue!

Do you have a question related to a skin condition that doesn't fit in any of the other boards? Perhaps you're living with ichthyosis, hyperhidrosis or something else we've not covered? Your questions and discussions can be posted here.

Moderator: talkhealth

2 posts
martmdc123

by martmdc123 on Fri Sep 07, 2018 2:30 am

undiagnosed but long term issue!

For umpteen years now, I have three raised spots of dry skin on my penis skin. This becomes scally, dry and itchy and then if itch becomes sore and scabbed for a short term. My GP sent me to a GUM clinic some 14 years ago and they where not happy that I had been referred to them!...I have used treatments such as trimovate, Daktarin, anti fungals, the usual aquesous creams, antiseptics, moisturisers and sea salt baths etc etc…

Its very concerning although my GP refuses to see it as something worth worrying about but to ' live with' ! However its very off putting as when I have had partners they are concerned it is a STI?..

They mostly look like slightly silvery/scaly spots of dry skin and then become red because I scratch them...They are localised and for all these years there have just been the three in the same place.. I scratch them, they become red/sore and then return to the state of scaly dry spots and so the cycle goes...

I also suffer very itchy and dry skin around the scrotum area, however my GP says' this is just due to sweat? But again I try everything and nothing helps ir relives the problem...I don't think the two issues are connected though as the symptoms are different..

Can anyone please, please help as to what it could be and what, if any, treatment could rid me of this curse!.. Thank you :)

Dr Adil Sheraz

by Dr Adil Sheraz on Wed Sep 26, 2018 4:15 pm

Re: undiagnosed but long term issue!

I'm sorry to hear that you've suffered with this condition for such a long time.

It seems that as yet a firm diagnosis has not been made. The differentials would include.

1. Eczema
2. Psoriasis
3. Lichen planus
4. Lichen sclerosus

Without seeing the area it is of course difficult to make a diagnosis. It sounds like you need to be seen by a dermatologist for a diagnosis. However I would emphasize that most of the above conditions do not have cures, however under a dermatologist you may get more appropriate management. It would be unlikely to be an infection.

In the meantime you could try regularly using dermol 500 lotion as a soap substitute and aqueous cream with menthol for symptomatic relief for the scrotal itch.

I hope that helps.

Regards

Adil Sheraz
Instagram: Dr_adilsheraz
Dr Adil Sheraz
Consultant Dermatologist - MBBS, BMEDSCI(HONS), MRCP (UK), MRCP (DERMATOLOGY) (UK)

http://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/on ... sheraz.php

2 posts