Rezum

Post your questions about men's sexual health here.

Moderator: talkhealth

3 posts
Twittering

by Twittering on Tue Sep 25, 2018 3:38 pm

Rezum

Hello experts!

What is your opinion of the comparatively new Rezum treatment for benign prostatic hyperplasia? Has it been in use long enough for benefits and risks to have been fully assessed. Is it destined to replace other options such as TURPS or laser treatment as the preferred option?

Phil T

Mr Oliver Kayes

by Mr Oliver Kayes on Thu Sep 27, 2018 6:11 pm

Re: Rezum

Hi Phil. The emergence of new minimally invasive treatments for BPH is not new but certainly the technology and the evidence for the newest treatments seems stronger. Rezum is a steam treatment and shrinks the prostate as does prostate artery embolisation (PAE). Urolift is a mechanical implant that does not heat or destroy tissue to open the prostate. They all have relative strengths and weaknesses. The long term data is coming and the variety of men we can treat is growing so worth having a chat with your GP about getting a referral if you feel drugs do not work or cause side effects and your symptoms bother you. Happy to share my experience if you drop me a line. Hope that helps.
Mr Oliver Kayes
Consultant Urologist - MBBS MSc MD(Res) FRCS(Urol) FECSM

http://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/on ... _kayes.php

Oliver Wiseman

by Oliver Wiseman on Thu Sep 27, 2018 6:17 pm

Re: Rezum

Hi Phil,
I think you have nicely outlined some of the questions about newer treatments released onto the market. There have been lots for benign prostate enlargement over the years. Rezum is a new steam treatment, and it is fair to say that we dont have long term data on it yet. There are a number of options available, so if you are having troublesome urinary symptoms and you have already tried medication, then it would we worthwhile discussing the potential for surgical treatments with a urologist. Hope that helps.
Oliver Wiseman
Consultant Urologist
http://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/on ... iseman.php

3 posts