OsteoA in Sac Joints

Post your Osteoarthritis related questions for our experts here.

Moderator: talkhealth

7 posts
RosalindB

by RosalindB on Mon Oct 08, 2018 4:27 pm

OsteoA in Sac Joints

At the the of 43 last year after an MRI scan, I was diagnosed with Moderate Osteoarthritis in my Sacroiliac Joints, 2 bulging discs and Mild Osteoarthritis in my entire spine. I'd had the low back pain for 25 years since carrying my eldest child. For the last year I have been taking Extra Strength Glucosamine Chondroitin Complex and trying to stay as active as I can. What else can I do to help myself? I hate taking codeine, it binds me up.

Dr Sandeep Bawa

by Dr Sandeep Bawa on Tue Oct 09, 2018 5:40 am

Re: OsteoA in Sac Joints

hi,

there are various options depending on severity of symptoms:

SI joint injections, Gabapentin, Lidocaine patches, physiotherapy, acupuncture, TENS machine etc etc

Your GP would advice the best option for you.

Thanks

Sandeep
Dr Sandeep Bawa
Consultant Rheumatologist - MBChB, MRCP, MSc (Sports Exercise Medicine)
http://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/on ... p_bawa.php

Matthew Rogers

by Matthew Rogers on Tue Oct 09, 2018 12:45 pm

Currently, there is no definitive cure for arthritis, however, it is important to remember that the symptoms won’t necessarily continue to get worse and there are loads of things that you can do in order to improve the symptoms of the condition, depending on how they are affecting you personally.

Many people find that medication does help them and having an annual review with your GP regarding the effectiveness and tolerability of your current treatment is considered to be best practice.

There are also lots of things that you can do to help yourself. The National Institute for Health and Care Excellence suggests that you seek out advice on managing body weight (if you are overweight), exercises to strengthen muscles and for general heart and lung fitness as well as appropriate footwear. There are also numerous gadgets and aids that you might find helpful. If your symptoms are affecting your mood, meditation, distraction techniques, relaxation techniques and social activities can help. Many people find that manual therapy that moves and stretches the joints (such as that offered by an osteopath) can help to reduce the symptoms.

Find out more at: http://www.iosteopathy.org/osteopathy-f ... arthritis/
Matthew Rogers
Head of Professional Development, the Institute of Osteopathy

http://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/on ... rogers.php

RosalindB

by RosalindB on Wed Oct 10, 2018 12:34 pm

Thank you both for the replies.

I've never heard of Lidocaine patches. I usually use heat patches, so I will try them instead. My doc said nothing about injections, only "painkillers and exercise". The physio I see said he only knows of one exercise for the Sac joints, which he showed me and it's hard for me to do. I've got a TENS machine to use when it's very bad. My physio (I've got tennis elbow, slipped knee cap due to flat feet) thinks I have Ankylosing Spondylitis (my dad had it and my eldest child has a form of it) but it's not a definite diagnosis yet. I'm being referred to a Podiatrist for insoles for my flat feet.

I do try and keep as active as possible, but my depression is my biggest hurdle. (I have been diagnosed with Bipolar Affective Disorder with Frequent Depressive Episodes, Anxiety and Depression, which I've had for 20+ years). I take Lithium and Duloxetine daily. It was Prozac till last Dec, when My Psychiatrist swapped me to Duloxetine thinking it would help with my pain. It doesn't. It's no more effective with my moods than the Prozac was. There's always situations around me that stress me out and he said that I'm "too sensitive" and he can't help me further.

I am struggling to cope with the arthritis diagnosis, I don't want to let it beat me and end up hardly able to walk. When I can see a GP at my surgery it's always a different one and I haven't seen one since my diagnosis last July because I quite honestly don't feel they understand or care.

So thank you again for your 2 comments, it's honestly more help to me than I've had from any medical professional in the last year (except my physio)

Wendy Green

by Wendy Green on Fri Oct 12, 2018 11:15 am

Hi

Aside from the excellent advice you've already been offered around watching your weight, alternative pain relief and exercise, I just wanted to offer a few more tips.

I appreciate that you won't feel like exercising when you are suffering from low mood. However, even a couple of short (15-20 minute) walks a day will not only help keep you mobile and hopefully ease the pain - they'll also help lift your depression - especially if you can get out into your local park, or other green space. Obviously, if you feel like walking further you will benefit even more.

Also, there's good evidence that a Mediterranean diet i.e. plenty of fish, fruit, vegetables, olive oil, wholegrain, beans, nuts, small amounts of dairy and meat and few sugary/refined foods, has an anti-inflammatory effect on the body and can therefore help with arthritis pain. Herbs and spices like basil, ginger and turmeric are also believed to help ease arthritis pain, so try to include these in your cooking, or try a supplement.

Also do bear in mind that, as Matthew pointed out, your arthritis won't necessarily worsen - especially if you watch your diet, and exercise as much as you are able.

I hope this helps.
Wendy Green
Health Expert and Author

http://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/on ... _green.php

RosalindB

by RosalindB on Wed Oct 17, 2018 5:04 pm

Thank you

I live in the country, so green space is all around me. Unfortunately our dog died 2 weeks ago, so I feel like I no longer have a reason to go out (I know I will feel better in time, but it was such a shock to see her have a massive stroke in front of me and be powerless to help).

I do cook most of the meals and I'm open to change, so I will try and incorporate your suggestions into my meals :)

Tracy Corbett

by Tracy Corbett on Thu Oct 18, 2018 11:41 am

Hi, Rosalind

I'm very pleased to hear that your physio has been so helpful! To echo everyone else's advice above, regular exercise can be very good for both your pain and your mood. If you're not already incorporating core strength exercises into your weekly routine, it might be helpful for you to start a pilates or yoga class. I would very strongly advise having a few 1-to-1 sessions at the beginning to make sure you are doing the exercises correctly. They are very subtle and it helps to have someone guide you through them initially before joining bigger groups. Both can be helpful for sacroiliac joint issues.
Tracy Corbett
Chartered Physiotherapist

http://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/on ... orbett.php

7 posts