Anti inflammatory drugs

Post your Osteoarthritis related questions for our experts here.

Moderator: talkhealth

2 posts
Guest Posts

by Guest Posts on Tue Oct 09, 2018 12:05 pm

Anti inflammatory drugs

When I was first diagnosed (over 20 years ago) initially fibromyalgia and spondylosis then osteoarthritis I was prescribed NSAIDs which caused stomach problems, these are relieved by taking Zoton fast tabs 30mg on waking, but I can't take aspirin or diclofenic.
This last 6 weeks I have had considerable pain in my hands with noticable changes to the joints, GP has referred me to Rheumatolgy because of increased 'markers' ?? in bloods and prescribed Celecoxib until I see the consultant.
I am now experiencing acid reflux and would like to know if there are any anti inflammatory drugs that I would be able to tolerate and l 'd welcome any advice on what to ask when I see the Rheumatologist.
Sharon
talkhealth team on behalf of a guest visitor

Arthritis Action

by Arthritis Action on Mon Oct 15, 2018 11:59 am

Re: Anti inflammatory drugs

All non-steroidal anti inflammatory drugs including diclofenac and celecoxib are associated with stomach problems including reflux, heartburn and ulcers. For these reasons and others, NSAID use should be kept to a minimum and most people are prescribed a proton pump inhibitor such as omeprazole to help with the side effects. NSAIDs can be effective as a cream or gel both over the counter and on prescription so you may ask about those. It sounds as though your GP has referred to you to a rheumatologist to see if you may have undeveloped a different type of arthritis such as rheumatoid arthritis which needs different treatment. Don't forget to take a list of your questions when you see your rheumatologist.

Dr Wendy Holden FRCP
Consultant Rheumatologist
Medical Advisor to Arthritis Action

Arthritis Action
56 Buckingham Gate, London, SW1E 6AE

T: 020 3781 7120 W: www.arthritisACTION.org.uk

2 posts