Chronic back pain

Post your questions about pain management for our experts here.

Moderator: talkhealth

2 posts
Khakitoots

by Khakitoots on Mon Oct 08, 2018 10:29 am

Chronic back pain

11 years ago I had anterior spinal fusion L5/S1. Since then have been on various opiates. Am currently taking oxycontin 20mgs slow release twice a day; amitriptyline 30 mgs at night time; diazepam 5 mgs at night. Am only allowed to take 5mls of oramorph per day as PRN. Pain clinic are concerned about dependence and put me on a reduction programme. Unfortunately I didn't understand and went cold turkey with the oramorph down from 20mls to 5mls. The oxycontin was also reduced from 25mgs to 20mgs which I did over a six week period. I continue to suffer from increasing pain and am at a complete loss as what to expect next. Would I perhaps be considered for legalised cannabis use? As the laws have changed and there appears to be clinical evidence that this can help manage pain. Many thanks in anticipation!

Arthritis Action

by Arthritis Action on Mon Oct 15, 2018 12:06 pm

Re: Chronic back pain

Many people with chronic pain find that they still have pain in spite of high doses of opiates. This clearly means that after a while, these drugs stop being effective and that is why all guidelines say that they should therefore be reduced, especially as they are associated with dependence and many other long-term problems. The jury is still very much out on the issue of cannabis and chronic pain and for now it remains illegal. If you have never attended a pain management programme, this would be well worth your while, as long-term, self-management is much more effective that medication. Ask your pain clinic if there is a self-management programme that you can join.

Dr Wendy Holden FRCP
Consultant Rheumatologist
Medical Advisor to Arthritis Action

Arthritis Action
56 Buckingham Gate, London, SW1E 6AE

T: 020 3781 7120 W: www.arthritisACTION.org.uk

2 posts