Should I keep exercising?

Post your questions about pain management for our experts here.

Moderator: talkhealth

5 posts
Guest Posts

by Guest Posts on Wed Oct 10, 2018 12:38 pm

Should I keep exercising?

When doing gentle exercises, my hips and knees are slightly painful. I do the exercises in water for added support.

But is it a good thing to continue? Is the pain part of the process of exercising to keep the joints mobile?

Gerry
talkhealth team on behalf of a guest visitor

Khakitoots

by Khakitoots on Wed Oct 10, 2018 2:54 pm

Re: Should I keep exercising?

My husband and I both do gentle stretching exercises which helps with stiffness. Water aquarobics used to help me however we both have to do gentle version of this when we get access to a quiet swimming pool. Best of luck!

Wendy Green

by Wendy Green on Thu Oct 11, 2018 5:44 pm

Hi Gerry,

Gentle exercise in water can only be of benefit to your knees and hips, as it will help ease any pain and stiffness and improve your mobility, fitness and strength without putting too much strain on your joints.

Exercise will also help you to manage your weight, which is very important if you have arthritis, as excess pounds increase the burden on the joints.

As you state that you experience only slight pain while exercising, that shouldn't be a problem. However if you ever experience severe pain during physical activity you should seek advice from your GP.

I hope this helps.
Wendy Green
Health Expert and Author

http://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/on ... _green.php

Arthritis Action

by Arthritis Action on Wed Oct 17, 2018 1:14 pm

Hi Gerry,

Thank you for your question. As you rightly say, exercise is often reported by those exercising with arthritis and is not necessary a sign that things are being aggravated.

What we do know from the evidence is that we feel more pain around joints if we loose our strength.
This is why it is so great that you exercise regularly and that more generally people choose an activity or exercise that they enjoy. Of course if you feel significant pain during or after any exercise you should consult your GP or a manual therapist such as Osteopath or Physiotherapist who has experience of prescribing exercise.

Our charity offers member consultations with such therapists and has some useful fact sheets on self management and exercise for those with arthritis which you might find useful.

http://www.arthritisaction.org.uk/livin ... arthritis/

Best wishes

David Vaux (Registered Osteopath)
Therapy Manager Arthritis Action

Tracy Corbett

by Tracy Corbett on Thu Oct 18, 2018 12:46 pm

Hi, Gerry

Slight pain shouldn't be a problem. However, I recommend discussing with your GP and asking for a referral to Physiotherapy. Your physiotherapist can assess you in detail and may be able to advise on simple modifications to your exercise routine to reduce the pain.
Tracy Corbett
Chartered Physiotherapist

http://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/on ... orbett.php

5 posts