How long should I take longtec after total hip replacement?

Post your questions about pain management for our experts here.

Moderator: talkhealth

3 posts
Smiler62

by Smiler62 on Tue Oct 16, 2018 5:58 pm

How long should I take longtec after total hip replacement?

Hi I had THR 2 weeks ago and I’m type 1 diabetic for past 52 years. I’m walking well and mobile but have reduced pain relief to 1 x 5mg longtec in the morning and 10mg longtec bedtime with 25mg amitriptyline. I take paracetamol during day if becomes painfully stiff. How long should I expect to be medication free?

Arthritis Action

by Arthritis Action on Tue Oct 16, 2018 6:05 pm

Re: How long should I take longtec after total hip replaceme

It sounds as though you are doing really well if you only had your surgery 2 weeks ago. Everyone is different after orthopaedic surgery but usually by 4- 6 weeks most or all of the medication should have stopped. You are doing the right thing by cutting down the longtec (oxycodone) first, and this can gradually be replaced completely by paracetamol. You may still have some pain after your physiotherapy exercises and it is often sensible to take some pain relief in advance, or if you plan on walking more than usual. Keep going!

Dr Wendy Holden FRCP
Consultant Rheumatologist
Medical Advisor to Arthritis Action

Arthritis Action
56 Buckingham Gate, London, SW1E 6AE

T: 020 3781 7120 W: www.arthritisACTION.org.uk

Smiler62

by Smiler62 on Tue Oct 16, 2018 6:53 pm

Re: How long should I take longtec after total hip replaceme

Thank you Dr Wendy for your prompt response and encouragement. I’m planning on starting yoga (seated until I gain strength) as I’ve also been diagnosed with sero-negative RA (no medication) and occasional fibromyalgia. I’ve already had a disc replacement C5/6 (6 years ago) and my first THR 14 years ago, Do you think this is a good idea to help with these conditions or should I be cautious?

3 posts