Free floating anxiety

Post your questions about stress here.

Moderator: talkhealth

2 posts
Guest Posts

by Guest Posts on Tue Oct 09, 2018 1:56 pm

Free floating anxiety

I would be interested to know how to beat free floating anxiety where you can go from feeling fine to an acute anxiety state for no apparent reason. This lasts for minutes or up to an hour or so and then wears off, again for no apparent reason. My friend is going through this at the moment. I understand how she feels as I have had this in the past caused by discontinuation of Olanzapine but I do not know what has caused it for my friend.
All I can do is stay with her and talk her through her anxiety state and convince her that the physical symptoms, will pass, she is not sick and it is all caused by anxiety. We have been doing this for over a week. The medication seems to be making things worse or at least is not helping even after 4 weeks.
Lorna
talkhealth team on behalf of a guest visitor

Jayne Ellis

by Jayne Ellis on Thu Oct 11, 2018 5:50 pm

Re: Free floating anxiety

Hi,

Some other tips I can give you to help your friend when she is suffering a panic or acute anxiety attack are to try the following:

• Keep her in the moment and tell her she is safe
• Re-label what is happening – I’m having a panic attack it's not going to hurt me
• Encourage her to 'fact check' her thoughts
• Breathing exercises - breath with her and focus on the 'out breath' aim for a count of 7 on the inhale
and 11 on the exhale
• 3-3-3 rule – name 3 things you can see, 3 things you can hear, move 3 parts of your body
• Just do something – distraction
• Stand up straight
• Watch a funny video

The symptoms are real and caused by the adrenaline running through her body, it's important to try and work out what the trigger is. It might be a thought process and it sounds like she needs to have some counselling. Don't let it go on too long before she goes back for more help if she's not improving. You can get some really good advice on the Mind website and they have a free helpline 03001233393 or email them at info@mind.org.uk

You are doing a really great job supporting her, it's not easy so well done. I hope she improves soon and I wish you both the very best.
Jayne Ellis
Founder and Director - EF training

http://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/on ... _ellis.php

2 posts